Has anyone gone to Alaska?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM

We went on a 7 day Holland America cruise and everything was wonderful!
Beautiful state! Met lots of neat people and great quilt shops!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM

been up there 5 times. go you won't be sorry. plenty of quilt shops.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Where to start? I have been there 17 times and still haven't had enough of the beautiful scenery and wildlife! I have flown there, and we have driven up the highway. Depending on what you like, there is something for everyone! It is definitely THE place for those who love nature. If you will be traveling on your own, be sure to buy a copy of THE MILEPOST at any major book store or online. It will tell you about every place in Alaska and on the way to Alaska; great maps if you are driving also. The longer you can stay, the more you will see, and I guarantee you will leave wanting to return-again and again!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Go, agree no one can tell you about it, it's so vast. And bring a sign to post about where you hail from.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM

If you want to travel by RV - fly into Anchorage and go to ABC rentals - at the airport. If you reserve by December of one year and go the following summer you can save half the cost. They have a website you can check out. I loved fishing - had a blast fishing for salmon in the Kenai river. Lots of great quilt shops. I came home the last time thinking that Alaska is where the earth is still being made - so raw and undeveloped and beautiful. I also recall thinking we could never move to Alaska because we aren't nice enought - everyone we met was helpful, friendly and welcoming.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM

My daughter and her family lives in Alaska, It's beautiful I would move there in a minute.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM

I live in Kenai, Alaska. I have also lived in Juneau and Anchorage. Really enjoy the summers--not so much the winters-always fear of falling.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Living in Alaska we have been on the marine highway system many times. Our move to Alaska was on a large ferry--we call them Blue Canoes. There are private rooms and an entire level for vehicles. The food is good--cafeteria style and much jostling for the front row seats. There are plenty of quilt/fabric shops throughout the state. Any time of the year bring jackets or sweaters. One thing to remember--every road deadends except those going in and out of Canada. So, you will doing lots of backtracking.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM

The fireweed has gone to seed and most trees have lost their leaves. We have plenty of moose who eat everything--lots of wire fences around the trees and shrubs everywhere. A beautiful state but it is always nice to visit the "Lower 48" which I call the real world. Shipping and postage are expensive and many places still regard us as another country or won't ship to us or Hawaii--only the Continental states. Other than that--we can get most everything here that we need.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 PM

Dodie mentions driving the Alcan highway. My husband and I drove the Alcan from Anchorage down to Houston, Texas in 1955. What a trip! All gravel roads then and, following the Milepost guide (still published, I think) we stopped every other night where we could find a cabin to sleep in--not many around then! We had to stop for over an hour one time to wait for an elk herd to cross the road. Alaska was still a territory then, not yet a state. We lived in Anchorage for three years out on Cook Inlet. The area where our little house was ended up out to sea in the big earthquake in the 1960s. How I loved that place! We camped often on the Kenai pennisula. Truly God's country. I know it has changed a lot in the almost 60 years since we were there, but it must still be beautiful country. Go!