Hatfield McCoy feud story

Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 AM

I watched the first installment last night. I can't imagine the lives and conditions of those days. Very harsh and the women had a particularly hard time. While it is a gritty story, it has a lot of lessons and because it is a term " fighting like the Hatfield's and McCoy's" that I heard all my life, I want to know the whole story. I did record it and was so glad as the first 30 minutes were ad free....then every 5 minutes.....YUCK! I highly recommend it to anyone interested in history. While it is somewhat graphic, I believe it was research well......Kevin Costner is a history buff.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM

About the Hatfield/McCoy series currently running on the History Channel, there was an article in today's paper that part one had the highest rating of any basic cable non-sports program in cable history!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 AM

I just did a reserve on The Coffin Quilt by Ann Rinaldi with our public library. I was just tickled that they had it. Can't wait to read it. I've DVR the movies, but waiting to watch with my DH.

Originally Posted by lynn_z View Post
I need to read this book! The Coffin Quilt: The Feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys (1999) The Coffin Quilt is a novel by Ann Rinaldi that was first published in 1999. Set in Kentucky, it tells the story of the Hatfield-McCoy feud in the late 19th century through the eyes of Fanny, a young female member of the McCoy family. Choosing between family and what is right is one of the major decisions Fanny McCoy has to make. When the McCoys decide to wage a war against a rival family, the Hatfields, things start to get out of hand; four of her brothers are killed by Hatfields.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
it's on the history channel and it's really good.
Hello, Hattiesburg! They did a feature on this series tonight on "NBC Nightly News" -- evidently it's a real ratings powerhouse. Here's a story re that --->

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1553923.html
Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 PM

I wasn't expecting it to be this popular.

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...atfield-mccoys
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

My Husband has been watching it, I don't watch anything but, HGTV and DIY channels. He is a history buff, me - not so much.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Since I forgot the series, I just had to go to Amazon and buy the book for my Kindle. Can't wait to read it!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 AM

My great-grandparents lived near these two families during the bloody fighting and my grandmother (moved to Va.) told me that her parents had a large house and at the very same time one Hatfield and one McCoy were there in their home getting sewed up from gun shot wounds. The two men never knew the other was there. My grandmother told me alot about those families and the show was near perfect to what my grandmother had told all her children and grandchildren.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
This story will begin for three nights tonight at 9 p.m. on A&E I think; The Hatfields and McCoys, stars Kevin Costner.
My sister said that Lifetime is also doing a show about it. Wonder if it's the same. She lives in WV. I love lifetime; stayed up half the night Sunday watching Imaginary friends; it was so good.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I watched the first installment last night. I can't imagine the lives and conditions of those days. Very harsh and the women had a particularly hard time. While it is a gritty story, it has a lot of lessons and because it is a term " fighting like the Hatfield's and McCoy's" that I heard all my life, I want to know the whole story. I did record it and was so glad as the first 30 minutes were ad free....then every 5 minutes.....YUCK! I highly recommend it to anyone interested in history. While it is somewhat graphic, I believe it was research well......Kevin Costner is a history buff.
A couple of thoughts... I, too, look at these historical dramas & wonder how long I would've lasted back then. Not long, I'm pretty sure. It was brutal & they certainly have my respect.

I watched part of this & then got busy & haven't seen any more of it. I hadn't planned on watching any of it because I can't stand Kevin Costner. After how shabbily he treated the Lakotas after making "Dances With Wolves", I just can't respect him. I know... it sounds petty, but it's how I feel. I really do like Bill Paxton -- he was so good in my all-time favorite movie, "Tombstone".