Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have any of you decided to just go gray? >

have any of you decided to just go gray?

have any of you decided to just go gray?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 AM

When I retired 8 years ago I decided that the expense of coloring my hair was one I could let go. Then I got a very serious melanoma (cancer) on my face and I knew I'd never use chemicals on my head again. (Not that the coloring caused the cancer, it didn't, but I just don't want to use chemicals I don't need now.)

Now I'm learning to quilt and building a stash- who wants to spend my retirement money on hair coloring, I need more fabric! :-D
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 AM

I've thought often about not coloring, but Hubs gives me a "look" every time I mention it. I color at home, and the last time decided to leave out a few grey streaks to see what that looks like when left alone - who knows, maybe a subtle switch will change his mind - not. I often wish I could go short and spikey, but that look would not work for my puss!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:11 AM

I have never colored my hair. I had auburn red hair, now it is almost blond, people think I color it and they also think it is naturally curly. I tell them the color is from God and the curl is from the bottle. LOL
Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 AM

I'm keeping my grey hair...I earned every one of them !!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 AM

I love grey. It says I have wisdom!!! I only put a rinse on my hair one time. I was 17 years old. I have earned every grey hair on my head.... which is getting thinner all the time. DANG IT!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 AM

Iquit coloring when the first grandson was born and I tell everyone I earned every one of these gray hairs. I would rather look my age than have black hair.
At a class reunion, someone remarked, never saw so many redheads in my life.

Carol J.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 AM

Waterstide, I do agree with you that red is a difficult colour to get just right, however my Mum was a red head and she went blonde. I had very dark black hair and now I have managed to go blonde now it has gone grey. Its my treat and I go every 6 weeks to the hairdresser to have it done. I am like that advert, No More Grey.....

You could always try a little blone on the front, but I would go to the hairdressers
Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 AM

I tried the color thing many,many years ago and my hair either looked pink or green. Gave up and now am all white for many, many years. If thats what the Good Lord wanted, then why fight it. I get more compliments now than before. It is a choice each must make. I have a sister who does not even know what her natural hair color is.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:32 AM

I never have colored my hair. I just take what God gives me. I always hoped to have white hair rather than grey and white is what I have. Some folks do such a nice job of coloring their hair. Others are awful, and make me glad I have what I have.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:36 AM

I'm toying with the idea of going natural. Not sure what it would look like. Nervous. DH is almost all white. I see many women who look absolutely gorgeous with salt and pepper or all white. I just can't decide!!!!