Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have any of you decided to just go gray? >

have any of you decided to just go gray?

have any of you decided to just go gray?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 AM

I stopped colouring my hair about 15 years ago and haven't regretted it at all. I am totally silver grey -- with the exception of a royal blue streak on the right side of my head! :D

I get so many positive comments, especially from the younger generation. They think it is so cool. So many women have said to me that they wish they had the nerve to put a streak in their hair. I tell them "Go ahead and do it. It's only hair, after all."
Old 03-25-2011, 03:15 AM

Nope, never. I have it touched up every 4 weeks. Gray is not for me. Both my mother and grandmother colored til the very end.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

yes, i did. the front of my head is a very nice white gray and the back has dark gray through it. since i can't see the back, it doesn't bother me :-D :-D
Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 AM

I started going gray in my early 30's and colored my hair for many years. I finally at age 50 decided that it was too much trouble (hair would not hold color for more then 4 weeks) and went gray, I really like the way it looks. It is a relief not to have fuss with the color and certainly a lot cheaper.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
I went gray this year after coloring for the last 15 years I just got tired of doing it and the husband doesn't like the new me of course his is white now but that makes no difference. Have any of you given up coloring and do you like the gray and the freedom of not coloring every couple months
I never did color mine. At one point people thought I had reverse frosted my hair. Now that it is white, I love it and it matches DHs.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 AM

I have never colored mine. It is salt and pepper and getting more so everyday. I watched my mother battle gray hair for half of her life, she lived to be 93. Decided that wasn't for me.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

i stopped dyeing my hair about 5 years ago...i'm all white now...i had dyed my hair for over 20 years but it reached the point-my white is very dominent- i was upset that i would spend $100 on getting it done in a shop and 2 weeks later i would have a white stripe. the hair dresser told me...there is nothing we can do, your white is very dominent...so i quit wasting my money.
my hubby loves my hair and i do receive comments...my kids (all adults) hate it...
when i stopped dyeing it i was amazed how fast it started growing and how much healthier it is :thumbup:
Old 03-25-2011, 03:57 AM

HAD A baby at 39 and was determined never to look like his grandmother! Have been highlight since college. Decided to let it go and for the past year no highlights.

Grey make me looks dumpy frump dowdy. So bought a box at Sally's beauty supply and dh did the hair again. Happy camper. Sytlist said if parents were s/p I would be too but I want all grey right away. None of this transition stuff.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:01 AM

I have never colored my hair, it is brown with gray starting to come in at age 54. Why would I want to color it - this is who I am. I hate that look of gray hair dyed brown, looks like a fake fur coat. And gray roots showing - yuck! Not for me.
After seeing what my SIL went through trying to ease off coloring her hair at age 60, I'm glad I never started. It took her years to find a style/color (ash blond) she was happy with, after being a brunette.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
I went gray this year after coloring for the last 15 years I just got tired of doing it and the husband doesn't like the new me of course his is white now but that makes no difference. Have any of you given up coloring and do you like the gray and the freedom of not coloring every couple months
I let the gray grow out around the time I turned 50, and I get so many compliments on the colour of my hair. I have had complete strangers walk up to me in a Wendy's, or a Beall's, and ask if I got the colour done at a hairdresser's. I think the key is to keep a youthful haircut, and keep moisturizing your skin so your face stays youthful. My hubby and adult daughter love my hair colour, and anytime I verbalize that I'm thinking of colouring it, they say "don't you dare!". In other words - I'm staying with it. I prefer to grow old gracefully.

At our daughter's wedding in 2009.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174578[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174572.jpe