Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have stupid hat on need help >

Have stupid hat on need help

Have stupid hat on need help

Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM

Default Have stupid hat on need help

I bought a Mac, which I love. Haven't learned all the stuff on it yet. I am computer savy on windows. That being said, last night I put in a cd to look at and could not figure out how to read it. Does anyone out there have a Mac and can give me some pointers? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 AM

I use 'windows', and when I put in a CD and it doesn't open auto, I go to "My Computer" and click the drive and open. Can you do it this way? Or maybe it's in your menu to choose 'play. I know that most all teachers LOVE Macs, but I prefer Windows.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Or you could ck at http://www.ehow.com Sorry, I'm dumb too.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM

I assume you have picture viewing software on your Mac? I have a very old Mac and you should see an icon for the cd in the lower right corner of your home page. Double click on it to open. You should also have a link to Mac help on your menu bar.
Good luck.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I don't know anything about Mac computers. I only know a little about windows.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM

When I put a CD in my Mac, I hear it getting read, and then a small silver circle shows up on the desktop. If I click on that, I can see what files are on the CD -- if they are music files I can listen to them in iTunes, if they are graphic files I can view them with Preview, etc.

Sometimes when my desktop is really cluttered, it's hard to find the icon for the CD

In that case, I click the eject button on my keyboard, and then when I put it in again, I watch the screen really closely for movement to see where it pops up.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
When I put a CD in my Mac, I hear it getting read, and then a small silver circle shows up on the desktop. If I click on that, I can see what files are on the CD -- if they are music files I can listen to them in iTunes, if they are graphic files I can view them with Preview, etc.

Sometimes when my desktop is really cluttered, it's hard to find the icon for the CD

In that case, I click the eject button on my keyboard, and then when I put it in again, I watch the screen really closely for movement to see where it pops up.

Hope that helps!
Wilferg is absolutely right and explained it waaaay better than I could. We have had Macs ever since the first "Classic Mac" and would not have anything else. When I discovered my just turned 3 year old had "his" drawing program on the "CM" and was politely drawing away and all this without any help or oversight from anyone, I decided that machine ruled. It still is around here. (That son is now 31 and a mechanical engineer. Wasn't too long ago, was it?)

Enjoy your new computer. I suspect you won't look back.

A Mac Bigot aka Pat
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM

I have not heard od ehow.com, but bookmarked it and plan to check it out when I have some time. Thank you for the info. Take care.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 AM

Where is the eject button on the keyboard? Does it have a picture?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM

The button on the top right corner is probably the eject button. If there is a little magnifying glass at the top right corner of the screen, click on it and you can type in a search for the cd by name. If you can see the cd icon on your screen, just double click on it. Give your Mac a chance, they are very user friendly.