Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift?? >

Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift??

Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift??

Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 AM

Not all the time, but hints and such never work with my husband. One year I bought myself a sewing machine. For our 25th Anniversary, I said we were going to Alaska and we did.

Most of the time, it is during our county fair and I have have spent many an anniversary at the tractor pull. Oh well. With marriage you learn what works for you, is not necessarily what works for others.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 AM

You're supposed to get a gift? Who knew! LOL...have to work on that one : )
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I have my eye on a piece of jewelry that I would love to have for my anniversary. It won't break the bank and I really want it. Ladies, have any of you gone ahead and just bought yourself an anniversary gift?
Sandy
Why do you have to say its an anniversary gift? Because if you buy it yourself, for yourself, it really isn't. But so what? If it doesn't break the bank and you like it, get it! Who says you can't get a piece of jewelry if you want to?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 AM

A few times at Christmas I have gotten a few things that I wanted and put for To My Husband's Name and for My Name on the label. It's so funny watching his face when he opened the present because he never noticed what the name tag said. We actually had a joke in our house as how it was hard to buy a gift because when we wanted something we just went ahead and got it ourselves. It's either that or I'd tell my daugter when she got old enough and she made sure he knew what to get.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

No, but I have given him a picture of the item and where to buy it.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Definitely! After 20 years of marriage, I saved for a year to get a diamond. WE chose the stone and the setting TOGETHER. When I showed it to a neighbor, she said, "Nice ring you bought yourself." Still remember that comment from over 20 years ago! So, if YOU buy it, don't tell anyone but your husband. Most stores will hold a piece until the husband can look at it. If he's smart, he'll also buy it, have it wrapped, and present it like it was HIS idea!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 AM

Wow! Love all of the answers! I can't wait to go buy my new ring!
Thanks ladies! I'm loving the stories you share.

Sandy
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Definitely! After 20 years of marriage, I saved for a year to get a diamond. WE chose the stone and the setting TOGETHER. When I showed it to a neighbor, she said, "Nice ring you bought yourself." Still remember that comment from over 20 years ago! So, if YOU buy it, don't tell anyone but your husband. Most stores will hold a piece until the husband can look at it. If he's smart, he'll also buy it, have it wrapped, and present it like it was HIS idea!

What a snotty remark! Probably jealous she was. Yes no ones biz on "who" paid for the gift !
Sandy
Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Many many times. My husband apparently is either bad at this type of thing or does it poorly on purpose. Come on I got a bowling ball for my first anniversary and an ironing board cover for another one!! That doesnt count the butt ugly jewelry that he spent a fortune on.

OTOH, I have a really nice fur coat, a pendant that people stop and comment on and a convertible. All for my birthdays, Christmas or anniversaries from ME!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Since being married I haven't purchased any jewelry for myself. Now DH and I discussed in length the purchase of my 3 stone ring and eternity band. We looked at it together, discussed the price, etc. and then made the purchases. The 3-stone ring was for Mother's Day and then the Eternity ring was for our 5th anniversary. I actually insisted on the smaller stones for each ring...he's too generous for his own good....lol!

So...I would just tell him...Honey this is what I would really, really like to have this year! I now insist on no more bling!
For instance~ we couldn't afford Anniversary or Christmas gifts this year and it was no biggy. Then in Feb I saw the Singer 160 on HSN and it just struck me I have to have this! We discussed it and decided that the Singer would be my belated Anniversary, Christmas and upcoming Bday gift! Everytime I look at that sewing machine I think about how much he loves me! It is the same with the rings! Oh and he tells everyone that he got a Singer 160 for his Bday this year! I luv that guy!