Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have you ever done a quilter's garage sale? >

have you ever done a quilter's garage sale?

have you ever done a quilter's garage sale?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 PM

was tossing the idea around for the spring and wondered if anyone else had done it and found out hints that work and don't work to get people to come.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 PM

If you lived near me, I would come.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Hosta
was tossing the idea around for the spring and wondered if anyone else had done it and found out hints that work and don't work to get people to come.
I did it years ago when I was getting ready to move. People came, fabric etc. sold well, and it was a huge success!!

Because it was inside my home, I did not advertise in the conventional way as I did not want a lot of "unknown" people coming and snooping around. To get the word out, I blasted out emails to everyone I knew and told them it was OK to send it to others they knew too.

All the fabric was pre-measured and I had it laying out on long tables. Lots of pattern books. Also, knitting and crocheting supplies.

For simplicity, all fabric was the same price per yard, so we could just total up the total yardage purchased and do some quick math.

And now, I have built my stash right back up there, and then some!! :)
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 PM

One of the local quilting quilds did this last year. I don't belong to the quild but I went to the sale. It was fabulous! They had machines, patterns, notions, thread and oh the fabric!!! I got there in the afternoon but there was still lots of bargains. The prices were incredible, less than $1 per yard of fabric. I watched for it again this year but I'm not sure they did it again.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Oh, I'd be there for sure if I lived near by! I get most of my fabrics at sales and auctions. Lots of great bargains out there.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 PM

[quote=auntpiggylpn]One of the local quilting quilds did this last year. I don't belong to the quild but I went to the sale. It was fabulous! They had machines, patterns, notions, thread and oh the fabric!!! I got there in the afternoon but there was still lots of bargains. The prices were incredible, less than $1 per yard of fabric. =
-------------------------------------
More or less like the one I went to around here last year. I think it was a group who were chipping in to sell a lot of their own stuff as well as their late member, possibly to help with the final costs to the family.
Masses of other stuff and more fabric than I'd ever expected, all fabrics 50 cents per pound. Everything was folded neatly and beautifully clean, many, many books and lots of sewing aids I barely recognized!! Loved that sale.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 PM

Oh man! I'd be in trouble and u would be sold out!!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

local quilt shops, guild and sewing groups are good places to (advertise) your quilter garage sale.
they (target) your wanted customers.
the sales that quilters find usually do well---we do love to shop- deals- and to see what other quilters have :)
Old 10-29-2011, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

did anyone sell finished quilts at their sale?
Old 10-29-2011, 04:44 AM

I live to get fabric at a bargain price. A lady had a fabric sale on craigslist a couple of years ago and sold her fabric for $1 a pound! I bought 50+ lbs of it---over 200 yds total!