Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever had a problem with make-up? >

Have you ever had a problem with make-up?

Have you ever had a problem with make-up?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 AM

I'm 62, so I've been using make-up for a long, long time. Not heavy make-up just the minimum--moisturizer, mascara, blush, eye shadow (sometimes) and lipstick. I am currently using Avon and have been for the last year. During the last month I've had hives several times on my eyelids (the worst area) and along my jaw line. After the hives stop I have scaly skin on my eyelids. Also have frequent itching all over my face. I've decided it's probably the Avon products, but it started after a year of using them. Has anyone else had a delayed reaction like this? Are there other cosmetics you would recommend for sensitive skin?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 AM

Could be your face wash. . .
Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 AM

The best make up for sensitive skin is going to be mineral makeup. It is all natural and very gentle.

Avon may have changed their formula since you started using it. It happens a lot with the big manufacturers.

Try putting a light layer of coconut oil on your skin at bedtime. It should clear up the hives and scaly skin and it won't clog your pores.

:)
Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I gave up wearing makeup because I always break out in a rash of some kind and I have tried many different brands.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 AM

If you're getting hives you're defintely allergic to something you're using on that area. You can develop allergies to things you've used for years. You can eliminate everything for a few days and then start adding back one thing at a time to figure out exactly which product it is.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
I'm 62, so I've been using make-up for a long, long time. Not heavy make-up just the minimum--moisturizer, mascara, blush, eye shadow (sometimes) and lipstick. I am currently using Avon and have been for the last year. During the last month I've had hives several times on my eyelids (the worst area) and along my jaw line. After the hives stop I have scaly skin on my eyelids. Also have frequent itching all over my face. I've decided it's probably the Avon products, but it started after a year of using them. Has anyone else had a delayed reaction like this? Are there other cosmetics you would recommend for sensitive skin?

I can not use Avon..It causes my face to get itchy with a red rash..
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Oatw13 re: coconut oil
Where does one buy coconut oil?? Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

over time using something that has been fine can built up and give you hives and allergic reactions to it. stop the eye make up for sure. see how that goes.
if not better, see a Dermatologist.
there are lots of products out there that are hypo allerginic.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Sorry to hear about your reaction to something you are using. I use Mary Kay. Their makeup is mineral based and hypallergentic (sp?)
Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 AM

Its possible to get a reaction to something you have used for a long time, and its also possible they changed the formula of something.

I'd try dabbing each product on the inside of my elbow for a couple of days and see if its just one thats making you break out. You could also read teh ingredients and find another brand that doesn't have those ingredients.

I have fairly sensitive skin and get hives from a lot of stuff but I can use the mineral powder makeup on my face without an issue, you might try that kind. I use Bare Minerals that I buy at an Ulta store but theres a lot of brands.

FREE Quilting Newsletter