Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Have you used

Have you used

a teeth whitener and did it work? If so, what brand?
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I've done it myself but next time I will get it done at my dentist. Have you called your dentist and gotten a price? Our dentist isn't unreasonable in price. I consider it unnecessary, but a "treat" to myself.

If it contains bleach then don't use it because your teeth will look whiter but you will want to use it again and again and then the damage will be done. Teeth are very important so check with your dentist first.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My granddaughter did the over-the-counter whitening and now the dentist says that her teeth are very soft.
    Carmen E.

I used the whitening trays year ago. Since then my teeth are softer, and I've had more cavities. Something designed to help you can sure do more harm than good. Now I simply use a whitening toothpaste.

I did it about ten years ago by dentist and it worked. No softening of my teeth. As we age, our teeth look gray and I don't like it at all

I just talked to my dentist about whitening my teeth. The cost is pretty reasonable. The only drawback I can see is that you need to do the treatments monthly, and any plastic fillings will not bleach. I'm sure I have some plastic fillings, so I'm still thinking about it.
    Sue

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Friend of mine does not have the whitest teeth. She consulted her dentist about the whiteners and bleaches. He told her to leave her teeth alone. She's 56 with the strongest, straightest cavity free teeth. A little on the yellow side. He told her to lay off the coffee. That has helped. She has all 32 and that's saying something. Her teeth are off-white but all there. Iused whiteners and bleaches and now have an upper plate.

I never have. Too scared to try it.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I can understand wanting whiter nicer teeth. I think bad teeth robs a person of self confidence. I had many dental problems that were not getting better so opted for the upper and lower implant permanent (do not come out) dentures. It has been the best decision I've made for myself. I look better, feel better, and smile all the time. My health improved too.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I did - got the trays and goop from the dentist. Made a huge difference. I have not had any problems with more cavities.

Blog Entries
    http://www.orawellness.com/blog/teet...d-differences/

Great article on teeth whitening methods and the differences.
    Last edited by Shoofly1; 10-21-2015 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added text

Blog Entries
    I have to go every 6 months for a cleaning -part of my after care from my transplant and when I suggested using an otc treatment for in between appts he kinda hit the ceiling-- just because the ads on TV say dentist approve these things does not make it true. They create more problems to your teeth and gums. And they can alter any prescribed medicines that we have to use. So check with your dentist-your family doctor and even your pharmacist for interaction problems with these treatments before using them. Be safe not sorry--

As an adult I have always gone every four months for cleanings and check up, my kids went three times a year and every two months when they had braces. When growing up I wasn't taken to the dentist and it caused a lot of dental problems for me later on. I made sure my kids knew the importance of good dental care and that it isn't a luxury, it is a necessity for health. Now that I have the implants my dentist visits are once a year!

Blog Entries
    i'm afraid to use them. I have some implants, and they won't whiten. they match my other teeth, so I won't do it for that reason. My dentist said I had too many teeth for my mouth, meaning my mouth was small. when I got my braces, I had 4 first bicuspids removed and 4 wisdom teeth. Now everything fits.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    a teeth whitener and did it work? If so, what brand?
    As a Dental Hygienist, I have seen my patients get good results from a variety of OTC whiteners. There are 2 main things to be aware of before deciding to whiten your teeth:
    - any existing 'white' restorations you have will not whiten further and neither will crowns or veneers, so if you have any of these that show when you smile - they would have to be replaced afterwards to match the new shade of whiteness of your natural enamel
    - all whitening products increase tooth sensitivity, so if you suffer from this - expect it to worsen after whitening. You can reduce sensitivity by putting a desensitizing toothpaste in trays and wearing them for an hour or two.

Tooth whitening, like most things in life, is best done in moderation.
    Valerie

I had it done by the dentist years ago using the trays and gel. Had to sleep with them for 2 weeks. Fantastic results.

Lately I tried Crest Premium and saw very little results. The only bonus is that Crest will refund your money if not satisfied.

If you think about it using the dentists method with the gel on your teeth for 8 hours a treatment for 14 days would obviously be more effective than 1/2 hour a day. I wish for miracles.

The new whitening procedures by dentist have improved passed the sleeping with trays. My dentist uses lasers.

I've had a dental hygienist tell me that you should not do this to your teeth.

Blog Entries
    Onebyone and anyone else: would love to have more information on permanent implants. How long a process, cost, etc. Have seen ads locally and will be asking dentist on my next visit.