Heavy decison to make

Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 AM

I just want to give you a hug. ((QuiltingGrannie))
Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Whatever happened between the 2 of you before and during those 5 years had nothing to do with the stepson. He didn't cause or contribute to it. I think it only shows that the young man has respect for your DH. Let the young man into your life with an open mind and heart...you never know what he is going to teach you.
I think the above quote from Sandpat says it all. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
He was a good influence on their lives. He entered their lives when the boys were little, all pre-teens. Their real biological father was abusive, alcoholic etc and my DH showed them a life that was different and positive.
I do think it is special that he wants to reconnect with DH knowing that it will be connecting with me. That says something, too.

I know I will be anxious about it until it happens but will do my best.

Thanks for all your good thoughts.
A man willing to reconnect with a step child is a man with a wonderful heart. The woman standing beside him has an even bigger heart. Smile, embrace the child, and your love with that wonderful man will grow stronger!!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 AM

You're not saying the step-son is a problem himself. It may actually ease the pain if you welcome him and get to know him as a person your husband cares about. Separate out the boy himself from the pain of the past.

Also, think of it this way: The boy doesn't have a great father. Would you want to refuse him the chance to connect with someone he sees as a good father figure?

And if your husband in turn cares about him, would you really want to keep your husband apart from someone he cares about?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM

I would do two things. First I would talk with my husband about how it makes me feel so that we could handle this together. Second, I would have some boundaries about this situation. I can't tell you what boundaries I would have because I'm not in the situation, but I would have boundaries...i.e. my husband, myself and this boy meet somewhere away from my home (maybe at a resturant).

Like the others, I would give the boy a chance. He may need to talk to your husband about things so if private time is needed between your husband and him, I would give them the opportunity.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Google Goddess

I would let him come and visit. It sounds like he is wanting to get back together with all of you.

Please take care of yourself and let us know how it works out.

Remember this quilting board is our family! Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM

I agree with craftybear-I would let him come. Regardless of the situation that created his involvement in your husband's (and now your) life, the children here are innocent in the whole thing. I have a huge extended family and I have come to the conclusion that a child, no matter how they came into your life, can never have enough love and enough positive influences in their lives. God works in strange ways sometimes.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Re-frame it in this way -

We all have experiences that don't involve the others we love. Even just going to work isn't something we share. But the sum of our experiences - those we share with the ones we love and those that are just ours - make us who were are.

If your husband hadn't gone through that 5 year period away from you and with this boy's mother, perhaps he wouldn't be someone you want to be with again now. That helped shape him to be someone you wanted to love again.

Instead of feeling threatened by that time, seek to feel grateful that it caused him to return to you.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Yes, give him a chance. It may be that this young man has a purpose in your life that you aren't aware of and the universe is moving him towards you for a reason.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

I can tell you are going to say yes. You love him and even though it will be hard for you you will do it for your husband. It is a tribute to him that he made such an impact on this boy he wants to see him again. It will be difficult but I say yes.