Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hello, and found a problem :) >

Hello, and found a problem :)

Hello, and found a problem :)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:31 PM

I've been a long time reader of the board, my mother got me hooked on you all about a year ago. (This is a good thing.) I've been quilting about a year and only finished one small lap quilt, an apron, and have about a dozen half thought out ufos. I LOVE looking through the board every time I get an update, which leads me to the problem:

I got a trojan antispywaresoft virus from some of the pictures in the photo section. Its a real sneaky beastie, and it is no ones fault! My DH insisted I let everyone know where he found the bugs so you can check your computers. (DH is a software engineer, and he's concerned for everyone.)

These are in the photos section:

"More Quilts to Show" has the virus here: t-47059-1.htm

"Material Obsession Quilt #2 here: t-47039-1.htm

"Finally finished My Quilt" has it here: t-4718-1.htm

He says that regular antivirus stuff can overlook this bug, and its best to find a computer saavy person to take a look for it.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

What does this do?

trojan antispywaresoft virus
Old 05-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Google Goddess

I just sent your note to admin to have them to check it out for us, thanks
Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Its a scam to make you pay money to someone. It doesn't damage anything, but it will keep popping up and making you miserable, and infect other computers with itself.

It took Hubby five hours to find out that much. :(

A lot of people think its from Microsoft, because it will mimic the information, but its not. Hubby's asleep right now, but I can post links tomorrow for anyone who's being harassed by this thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I just sent your note to admin to have them to check it out for us, thanks
Oh thank you! Sorry, its late and I'm a bit of a muffin-head.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks for sharing. I picked one up last week and I didn't know where it came from.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Google Goddess

yes, I got that virus a few months ago, I didn't buy it, had norton on my pc and it got it but still did damage to my pc

Originally Posted by Artsyfartsy
Its a scam to make you pay money to someone. It doesn't damage anything, but it will keep popping up and making you miserable, and infect other computers with itself.

A lot of people think its from Microsoft, because it will mimic the information, but its not. Hubby's asleep right now, but I can post links tomorrow for anyone who's being harassed by this thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:00 PM

I don't think it's just this board (or if it's the board at all), it's all over the net! My daughter's 2 laptops got infected at the same time with the same trojan and she nor my grandkids have any interest in this board or quilting! My computer has never been infected (thank God!). I did have a scare a little while back when I clicked on one of the classified ads and I think one other board member did also but it was a different link. McAfee caught mine that time as did the other member's Norton. I think we all need to put a spyware/malware program on our computers because the regular virus programs like Nortons and McAfee are not catching those. My daughter now has McAfee and PCTools on her computer and has not had a problem. We all need to protect ourselves because it was certainly a royal pain in the butt to fix my daughter's computers!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artsyfartsy

It's not from Microsoft because it states that the Microsoft files are the virus and if you go in to delete the "infected" files you find out that they are indeed critical files needed to make your computer work. It also hid the desktop on her computer so we couldn't access anything or do anything. It got so bad we just wiped everything off her computer and reinstalled the operating system. My cousin had that same one and she got a program online that utilized alot of programs and steps to get rid of it and it took her 8 hours to fix it! I wonder if it's the same program your husband found?

Was it this link? http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407