Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • HELP - 6 pairs of pants ruined in dryer >
  • HELP - 6 pairs of pants ruined in dryer

• HELP - 6 pairs of pants ruined in dryer

Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 PM

they have an ink remover in the laundry isle---ya know, like Goo Gone stuff. Have never used it but it could be worth the try...and theres top job, and head and shoulders shampoo, and peroxide. what do you have to loose?
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
    Some lessons are hard to learn so I'm hoping someone may have a surefire way of getting ink out of fabric. DS did 8 pairs of pants (8 pairs!!!!!!) at one time and neglected to check his pockets for the everpresent ink pens. From what he said, they made it through the wash process OK but disaster occurred in the dryer. He was only able to selvedge 2 that were wearable. These weren't jeans but work slacks, corduroys and AE cargo pants. Does anyone have a good method to get the ink out w/o taking the color of the pants? He has tried hairspray, WD40, Shout, Resolve and laundry soap. It's kinda funny (not really but) he said that when it would happen to me when he lived here, it never really sunk in. If the pants had to be replaced, which was very, very rarely since I was pretty good about checking his pockets, I bought the new ones. But now that it's his responsibility, it's a whole new ballgame. He actually apologized for several things he has said in the past. My son has grown into a man. Course my first response when he told me was to tell him I would help him buy some new pants. Go figure! I know he doesn't have the money so what's the point of his feeling even worse. He was going to hit the thrift shop today to see if he could find anything he could use but the members of the QB have been so very helpful with so many things that I thought I would try here too. I'm sure he would be very happy with any help anyone could offer. Thanks friends.

Wendy
    Once in the dryer might be hopeless
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 AM

I'm not sure I had mentioned it but when he was putting the clothes from the washer to the dryer, he found a pen at the bottom of the washer. The clothes had no ink on them at all....at that point. However, apparently there was ANOTHER one that waited until the dryer to leak on the clothes. I have passed on all the suggestions to him but I'm afraid he is going to just chuck them in the garbage. I may tell him to hang on to them since we will see him in a week and I'll work on them using all the items. Can't hurt. I so appreciate all the time and suggestions everyone has given me. Thank you again and hoping 2011 is filled with blessings for each and every one of you.

David's mom
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM

It is a bit late, but try soaking them in alcohol.
    Use a glass or metal container. Do one at a time.
    Cover the container. Leave them overnight, outside or in a well ventilated garage.
    Next day, using gloves, agitate them, rubbing on the spots until the ink comes out. Use a little brush like a toothbrush. Wash them by hand or in the washing machine while they are still wet with the alcohol. Use hot water and detergent.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Buy him some pens that come out in the wash. It's so frustrating to ruin your clothes with an ink pen in the dryer.
    I think we have all done it once or twice.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 AM

my friend told me that Clearasil (skin care) will take the ink off of dolls faces. Just apply it and let it sit overnight.
    It's worth a try.... hope it helps.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Hairspray! I'm sure all teachers had a can of hairspray handy even if they didn't ever use it on their hair. Great for getting out ink, marker, etc..
    I always used hairspray to remove ink, but it was before the clothes went through the dryer.
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Hairspray! I'm sure all teachers had a can of hairspray handy even if they didn't ever use it on their hair. Great for getting out ink, marker, etc..
    hairspray works, but only if the stain is caught before the dryer 'sets' it. Ask me how I know!

I haven't tried the "Awesome" product from Dollar stores yet. That's an interesting tip. Thanks!
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 AM

Son just called and the pants have gone to garbage. Thanks again for all the information. Hopefully others have learned about some other methods to deal w/ink stains. I know I have. I'm going to close the thread now since the pants are no longer an issue.

Blessings.
    Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 PM

I had this happen to my nice blouses once. My husband tried all afternoon using all the normal spot removers to get the ink out. when I came home I took out a bar of soap that I had purchased at a Mexican store. I wet the blouse and rubbed the soap on the ink. I did not scrub just rubbed in on and then put the load back in the washer and ran the load again. when it finished all the stains were out.

I don't know the name of the soap I just know you can find it in the laundry soap section at most Mexican markets. I hope this helps.