Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help!  From all moms with tots... >

Help! From all moms with tots...

Help! From all moms with tots...

Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
What do you do when a disposable diaper breaks in the washing machine! (Luckily was just wet.) Shall I put thru dryer and shake? Rinse again? Help, please!!
Forgive me for being so stupid but why would you put a disposable diaper in the washing machine?
Old 10-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Threadedneedle
What do you do when a disposable diaper breaks in the washing machine! (Luckily was just wet.) Shall I put thru dryer and shake? Rinse again? Help, please!!
Forgive me for being so stupid but why would you put a disposable diaper in the washing machine?
For us they get mixed in the (cloth) diaper pail every now and then, or my kids will try and be helpful by throwing them away and they end up in the hamper instead (I guess using both cloth and disposables might get a little confusing since you wash some and throw others away). It was probably just an accident, not intentional.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:03 PM

I may be wrong, but I think the "absorbent" part of a disposable diaper is the same thing that plant people put in potting mix to hold water. It is a polymer that grabs and holds any moisture that touches it.
I had one nursery worker (plants, not kids) tell me that she took off the plastic from damaged, unused adult diapers, cut them up and used them to add to potting mixtures. They held lots of water and were very effective in keeping plants happy in our dragon's breath hot summers.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by moonangel12
For us they get mixed in the (cloth) diaper pail every now and then, or my kids will try and be helpful by throwing them away and they end up in the hamper instead (I guess using both cloth and disposables might get a little confusing since you wash some and throw others away). It was probably just an accident, not intentional.
OK I can understand THAT, had kid helpers myself back in the day!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:23 PM

Do you really think I did it on purpose?????????????
Old 10-30-2010, 04:30 PM

OK, so I tried to shake out one garment in the mudroom (it's pouring outside)then put it in the dryer on air fluff. That got about 99% off and into the lint filter! So I put the rest of the load and still go 90% off. The stuff on the floor dried and I was able to sweep it out the door. I had an old rubber door stop that I turned upside down and used as a mini-scoop/soft spatula and it worked well to clean the washer drum.

Next I'll run the washer thru a cycle, clean again then rinse the duds again. *sigh* getting there! The lovely boy put his own pj's in the washer so I didn't catch it.

Thanks everyone. Was delighted to try the air fluff and have it work!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Give your sweet boy a hug for trying to help! Sometimes things just go wrong and all we can do is do our best to cope!

OK, so I tried to shake out one garment in the mudroom (it's pouring outside)then put it in the dryer on air fluff. That got about 99% off and into the lint filter! So I put the rest of the load and still go 90% off. The stuff on the floor dried and I was able to sweep it out the door. I had an old rubber door stop that I turned upside down and used as a mini-scoop/soft spatula and it worked well to clean the washer drum.

Next I'll run the washer thru a cycle, clean again then rinse the duds again. *sigh* getting there! The lovely boy put his own pj's in the washer so I didn't catch it.

Thanks everyone. Was delighted to try the air fluff and have it work!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:01 PM

I Can't Stop Laughing.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 PM

Happy to report it all worked out fine. The laundry is clean and dry and the machines are clean too. Think it was the air fluffing in the dryer with a dryer sheet that took out the static and allowed the "particles" to go to the filter. Boy, is that stuff slippery when its wet on the floor so watch out friends! Looks and feels just like slush!

My GS is a doll and we share many laughs. But I will never in this world tell him that last Wednesday I grilled him a spider with his cheese sandwich!! No lie! He's just 10 and hates them. Imagine standing at the stove with him right behind you chatting and you go to flip the sandwich and notice this big, shiny black abdomen and 8 crispy legs. How I managed to remain in place without uttering a sound I don't know! Stunned I guess. Anyway I calmly took it out and he enjoyed his lunch! You have to understand that they were the last 2 pieces of cheese!