Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Litter box training a kitten

Blog Entries

Help! Litter box training a kitten

We have two cats, Cassie is almost 7 years and Callie is just over 7 months. Cassie is big fellow but very laid back and calm. Callie is still very playful and torments poor Cassie by wanting to play.

We decided to get a another kitten so Callie would have a playmate. We got an adorable 6 week old black and white male kitten Saturday. He is a doll and purrs so loudly!! We named him Shadow.

But he is not litter box trained. He is determined to go potty when ever it hits him. We try to keep a close eye on him and put him in the litter box each time he eats or drinks. Sometimes he will go and sometimes we have to play momma kitty and wipe his bottom with a baby wipe to make him go.

We've only had him a couple days and are already attached to him. I didn't ask the person we got him from if he was litter trained or not. Since they have several cats, we just assumed so.

Any tips or ideas on how to get him to go in the litter box? We got Callie at 6 weeks old and she took to the litter box right off. Taking him back is not an option. Our home is his permanent, indoor home. And he is going to the vet in the AM for his first check up.
    Sherri

My kittens were contained in the bathroom at night with a bed and a litter box. When we opened the door the first morning they had used the litter box and have ever since. They were so tiny I used a tray with a rim that was only 1 inch high - they were too small to get in a regular box. Good luck.

Banned
    Hm. Usually a nursing mama will drag her babies into the litter box with her and train them herself. This would be my route. Have a large litter box and when you see your other cats going stick the baby in there with them.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, you might get some potting soil and put a bit in the litter too. perhaps the smell of dirt will help kitty get the idea. good luck.

I always just put them in the litterbox and scratched with their paw and they took it from there.

We rescued two outside adult cats that our neighbors abandoned when they moved and I put them in the laundry room with the cat box for a day and it worked. Nothing else required. Hope it works.

Blog Entries
    Sometime this is a problem with multiple cats. You might try more than one cat box.

I would also suggest another litter box.
    I have taken in two feral cats and using a box was not a problem. I have never had a problem with cats not using a litter box. Talk to your Vet. about it, might have some tricks you can try.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

If all else fails, you could put him in a wire cage containing a large litter tray with barely enough room for him to lay down without being in the litter. Keeping him there all the time will force him to use it. Gradually reduce the size of the litter tray and he will continue using it.

Blog Entries
    We took the kitten to the vet today. He has a very low grade temp and they gave it some antibiotics. His eyes are matted and they ointment for that also. The kitten does use the litter box if we put him in it. I am going to get a small pan for the kitten and see if that helps. He is so cute and we will keep working with him.
    Sherri

I heard from "My Cat From Hell" guru that you should have one more litter box than you have cats. I have three cats (not my choice) and 4 litter boxes. Also, our vet said that cats ususally train themselves. I think everyone has given you good advice.
    Marilyn

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I rescue kittens and have trained a few from birth as there was no mom to do it. I believe a small area is good and i have around 10 boxes all over and different litters/ sizes/ lids but I am a real crazy cat lady I also have a huge (5000sf) home and cat doors into our contained fenced yard. My vet has always been great to help me with difficult issues. I bet once yours feel better, the problem will be solved. Good Luck!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB View Post
    We took the kitten to the vet today. He has a very low grade temp and they gave it some antibiotics. His eyes are matted and they ointment for that also. The kitten does use the litter box if we put him in it. I am going to get a small pan for the kitten and see if that helps. He is so cute and we will keep working with him.
    Aw poor sweetie. Keep that eye clean

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    I always just put them in the litterbox and scratched with their paw and they took it from there.
    this is pretty much how we do it. always works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    My kittens were contained in the bathroom at night with a bed and a litter box. When we opened the door the first morning they had used the litter box and have ever since. They were so tiny I used a tray with a rim that was only 1 inch high - they were too small to get in a regular box. Good luck.
    Having raised almost 1000 newborn orphan kittens in my years of rescuing - this is what we did when we were working with feral kittens. The really little ones learned the same way. Especially when my older cats wanted nothing to do with them. My male boxer always helped with the babies, but HE isn't litter box trained either.

Check with the grocery stores and things for their boxes that soft drink 6 paks and canned vegetables are delivered in. The sides are only about an inch or an inch and a half. They are also easy to make a cut on one end so that they can get in.

I have never had a kitten NOT use the litter box after being introduced. Some are just a little harder headed than some and it takes a few days.

Good luck, and thanks for adopting NOT shopping.
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by SherriB View Post
    When we rescued our last kitten, she was 5 weeks old and tiny. I have two big litter boxes and two adult cats as well. I ended up getting a smaller open litter pan with shorter sides for the kitten and I kept her confined with the box, food and water in one bedroom. We put her in the box once and she took it from there. I did notice though that when we had her out, she cried even though the big litter boxes were around until we brought her in her room where her litter box was at. I think she was too small to hop in the big boxes. Now she is 6 months old and we removed her small box and all three cats use two litter boxes. I do scoop and clean them frequently though

Blog Entries
    I have 3 cats and had three litter pans. went to two, but back to three. They seem happier and if they are happy, so am I. Now to train them to clean their own litter pans!!!

We never hada problem. We just showed the kittens the box, and they knew what to do. Ive heard to have as many litter boxes as cats. Do you have more than one box - that might be a suggestion. Also, I've heard that not using the box might be a sign of a UTI. I'm sure the vet can give you some help !

Blog Entries
    I think our sweet little fellow is just stubborn. LOL!! He seems to be doing better. I am going to get an extra litter pan today and see if that will do the trick. The vet gave us an antibiotic for him, along with meds for his eyes.
    Last edited by SherriB; 04-24-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    Sherri

I commend you for trying to train your new baby and for getting the other kitten a playmate. Put him in the box immediately after he finishes eating. Put him right back in if he jumps out. Wiping his tush with a wet rag is a signal to him to do his business. Stay with him until he does his business. Praise him highly when he is finished. Leave him in the bathroom during the night or when no human is home with him to cement the training. Keep the litterbox clean, many cats are fussy. A wire cage is also a good way to help him learn. He could have been a barn cat or an outdoor cat and never trained to a litterbox. Six weeks is really a little too early for a kitten to leave his cat momma. Eight weeks is reccommended.
    Blue Cat

Every life should have nine cats.

I've had several cats over the years...taken in both young and old. I always just took them and put them in the litter box and that's all it ever took. I had only one who ever used the floor and that was my husband's fault. He closed the cat up in a room and didn't realize it all night long. Next day we heard him crying and went to get him and he had messed in a corner, but I probably would've done the same thing. He headed for his water and food like a bullet. And always used the litter box after that.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

We had two outdoor cats. When one gog attacked by dogs, we decided the one left would become an indoor cat. The first time she used the bathroom, it ws in my sons closet. We scooped it up and put it in the litterbox. After that, she always uses the litterbox.

I have always heard that you need one more litter box than cats---Toby has 2

Having hand raised a couple of kittens that just had their eyes open, I took a small box and cut the sides down and placed it and the kittens in a larger box at night with an area for sleep and at the far end the "litter box". I placed a drop of ammonia in it as I have always done to train kittens or cats. They both adapted to that and after growing some to where they could get in a regular litter box I never had a problem. Worked for us, hope you find something that works for you.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It still won't keep him from spraying (marking his territory). Even females spray. I've had cats and won't again. They get up on counters. I don't hate cats, I just don't want cats. I won't eat where some one has cats. Every time in the past, I've had cat fur in my food even after counters have been washed off. I love my dogs but when they're gone I'm done with pets. I Swiffer my home twice a day even after brushing my dogs and I do that outside. Good Luck with your cats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast