Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help with Mice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    One word...CAT... ; )
    I totally agree. For years I had the big problem with field mice and tried everything. Finally I got a cat and it's been about 6yrs and I've never seen a mouse since. She even takes care of the occasional water bugs that we get. She's an older cat; now about 11yrs old but still does a great job. It's like the mice know not to come to our house because she's there.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Our mechanic found a mouse nest in the car vent! They were attracted to the warmth of the engine. She suggested putting steel wool soaked with cinnamon oil in any places where they were accessing the garage. Worked like a charm.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6218548_rid-...namon-oil.html
    Last edited by mhollifiel; 09-16-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

This is the time of the year, when field mice come into the house looking for warm winter shelter. The ideal time to look for where they are getting into the house. It is amazing to me how small of a space they can use to gain entrance. Finding and plugging these spaces is a must. Making sure that things like flour, bird seed etc. are kept swept up. We have good luck with a regular old fashioned mouse trap, baited with peanut butter or soft cheese. Easy for me, as my husband empties the traps.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

My best luck with a mousetrap was to use bacon-raw! We have a brand new home with an unfinished basement and partial crawl space. Until we finish that basement, we're going to have mice every fall. I hate this, but there's nothing I can do but trap them every fall.
    We put bacon on the trap and catch them easily. We've also used peanut butter on a cracker piece-mushed down against the trigger with success. Good luck-they're smart little critters!
    Karen in Kentucky

Get a Yorkie! My yorries the 2 I've had are the best at Rodents! And Have the Patience of 'Job' never give up!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    For those of you who don't like mousetraps, there is a humane trap called "mice cube". I have tried it, and it works... though my cats are more efficient.

I am sorry you are having a mouse problem!! I have three cats that chase anything that moves, wanna borrow them? I really hope you can find a solution and get rid of them.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

This is the time of year mice are looking to find shelter for the winter. I've found chocolate to be the best bait with peanut butter second. LOL the grand prize is Peanut Butter Cup candy. Snap traps are the most humane. Clean up all food/pet food and set traps in dark places, against walls, etc. The little guys can get in 1/4 inch spaces so it is very hard to fill all the entries.

Blog Entries
    Let those upstairs cat down by you to get some exercise and****render viddles****.

I have never heard of the 5 gallon bucket idea until tonight. DH returned home form his civil war re-enactment at Antietam, MD and told me about it. Then I find it on here. WOW! The other week one of those critters was on my computer desk twice. I moved the tower slightly and the next time that mouse ran along the tower he ran out of space. Needless to say when he ran off the edge, I had the trash can waiting for him to jump into. It was nice of it to acomodate me that way. Now where did I put that bucket.
    ABCDEFG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2