Help with moving!!

Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 AM

We have moved 17 times, each time something different is learned. Here are a few of my lessons learned:
1. Carry your sewing machine in your car. I don't think there is anyway you can pack them to ensure there won't be damage by someone who doesn't care about what's in a box.
2. If you have anything with wheels, either remove them or pack that item in a box with filler around and between the wheels.
3. If you have movers, don't leave any jewelry or valuables in your drawers or nightstands.
4. If you have movers, label in a general way. You don't want to draw attention to what is in a particular box. It can disappear. Yes, the moving companies number the boxes and have them listed for you, but if you aren't with the truck, or if it goes into storage for a period of time, there are two many opportunities for something to go missing, be it intentional or not. If you're a nut about details, make a list for each room, number the boxes and add details to your list. I only did the lists for particular items that needed to be unpacked first or were more valuable. Like: Kitchen 1:, coffee pot, toaster, silverware, large frying pan, 2 qt. pan.
5. Good idea noted above about sorting and get rid of unneeded items. Have a garage sale if you have time. If not, donate and get a tax deduction. If you haven't used it in 3 or 4 years, get rid of it.
6. I always packed what I needed soonest, last & what I needed last, first and stacked those unnecessary ones in a corner. One year I artfully arranged the boxes in a pyramid, covered it with a green tarp and we set our Christmas presents on top of the edges for a tree. Yep, had to move right after Christmas.
7. We don't smoke anymore, but in one move I opened a box that smelled a bit and found an ashtray carefully wrapped in paper with the cigarette buts and ashes in it. So -- if you have someone else pack, make sure everything is just the way you want it when it arrives! Tape the detergent box, cereal boxes or what ever else may be opened so nothing leaks.
9. Don't pack liquids in glass or plastic containers. Cans are OK as long as they don't hold anything acidic or flammable and it's not winter where the contents can freeze.
10. If you can your own veggies and fruit, don't let the movers repack your jars. I wasn't watching once when we moved from Cincy to Chicago and 15 boxes of jars got taken out of their cases, wrapped in paper and put in large boxes. Not sure what happened to the original boxes that were much easier to store and did a much better job of not chipping the jars. I am still using the jars but hate those large boxes and having to wrap up the jars each time!

Enough -- could write a book on this. I wish you and your family the best, enjoy your new home!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Tartan - I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that!!
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
How far are you moving? I think I would keep my machine as long as possible and do it as a carry on in the car. Good luck with the move and is one row on your block on the design board upside down?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 AM

You'll be busy with the move and may not have as much time as you think for quilting. I wouldn't advise you to keep too much out- you'll be surprised how much else you have to do.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:40 AM

Actually a mostly sewn quilt might give your old home a warm cozy feeling. Maybe you could have a very organized WIP.