Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP please Jam without any sugar... >

HELP please Jam without any sugar...

HELP please Jam without any sugar...

Old 08-22-2010, 02:42 PM

Hello alaskasunshine - I make jams all the time in my pressure cooker (only cook fruit for 15mins or so unless soft berries, then few minutes) so no ned for canning equipment, but a Jam thermometer is useful if you can find one. Any heavy based large saucepan would be ideal too but it will take a while longer to soften the fruit. There are books for low sugar and sugar free jam making, but you might like to google for recipes. Jams and preserves can also be made in microwave ovens!!

Pectin is needed to set all jams, thus lemon juice is added - there is a commercial product Jamsetta by Vacola if jam doesn't set properly.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:26 PM

Just want to pick up the 'no sugar' comment; fruit juice concentrate contains high levels of sugar (fructose). I am very opposed to food industry efforts to make fructose ( sugar) sound like a healthy alternative when in fact your body is still getting sugar (and, if you take in more than you burn off, converting it to fat).
Old 08-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Has anyone made Raspberry/blackberry jam WITHOUT sugar but using fruit juice to sweeten. I have looked on the net but I am so nervous I'll screw this up. Please help if you are certain of how to do this. :thumbup: Thanks sssssoooooo Much!!

PS I do not have a canner, only a pressure cooker and/ or a large pot
Go buy the low/no sugar pectin. Follow the recipe for your fruit to the letter!! If it calls for a little bit of lemon juice add it. It helps the pectin set up.

Several of the canning methods mentioned here are not considered safe. You can water bath can jams and jellies.

A Ball Blue Book would be very, very helpful for you. You can get them everywhere canning jars are sold and they're about 7 or 8 dollars.

I made 13 full cases of jams and jellies one year.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 PM

I've not made no sugar jellies/jams, BUT I have made very low sugar ones using Pomona's Universal Pectin. It is fabulous!!
here's their website:
http://www.pomonapectin.com/
It costs MUCH less to order it in bulk. But believe me, one 1 ounce box will do several batches of jelly/jam. and I've never processed them other than to boil, and pour into hot, sterilized jars and sealed.
You CAN make no sugar jellies/jams with Pomona's.....forgot to say that the first time. : )
Old 08-22-2010, 05:22 PM

Thank you CG, I just ordered some of that pectin. I will make some kiwi jam.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:44 AM

made some Strawberry/Kiwi several years ago........my family still raves about it........I guess I should make some more...LOL.....I used a Champion juicer to juice the kiwi--did not break the seeds --if you break the kiwi seeds you will get a peppery flavor from them....
Old 08-23-2010, 11:41 AM

I use this site all of the time for canning and preserving.

http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm
Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 PM

With the paraffin, my Grandma used to drop in a string and let it hang over the side till it had come to the top, this was to pull out the topping. I don't know anyone who uses it nowadays, most all of us use the 2 piece canning lids, which are cheap and very useful.

Simply follow the directions, thousands of women have made jams this way and succeeded. Just remember to tighten the lids and then set them upside down on a towel to cool. When they are cold, or room temp, turn them upright and push in on the round lid. If it goes click and up and down, it is not sealed. Either use it soon or process it again.

My sister and I had a firm rule..we wouldn't label it till it had set and we knew it was sealed. Then if it shook up like juice, we labeled it as "Pancake Syrup" and if it was solid, we'd label it "Jam or Jelly".
Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

If you want it to taste sweet without sugar, couldn't you use Splenda? No sugar.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
If you want it to taste sweet without sugar, couldn't you use Splenda? No sugar.
We made it with AGAVE nectar. It turned out wonderful!
Thanks for the suggestions.