help!! problems cutting

Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 PM

It was suggested to me recently that I cut a strip of the waffle-weave shelf cover and place that between my fabric and ruler. It works wonders and the ruler doesn't move.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM

good idea
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue
It was suggested to me recently that I cut a strip of the waffle-weave shelf cover and place that between my fabric and ruler. It works wonders and the ruler doesn't move.
I have this stuff laying around. I'll give it a try.
:)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:41 AM

i like to thank everyone for the advice-sorry i haven't posted anything before this been so busy working 7 days a week and 3 jobs it been so hard-i hope i can get my but in gear and start quilting here soon
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM

These are great ideas, don't want to use sandpaper dots cause I want to be able to slid my ruler!

Originally Posted by debcavan View Post
My hands are small so I have problems with the ruler. There is a clear sheet that you can buy that is suppose to help but the smaller the hands, the harder it is. So I have put felt pads every 1 1/2 inches on my ruler just on the edge I use for cutting. It also helps me know which edge to use since my ruler is 8 1/2 inches wide and I want to use the numbers starting with whole inches.

Also I am height impared. This also contributes to the trouble cutting. I am cutting on a table meant for an average sized person. The pads which I get at the dime store or Walmart are very thin and in the department that has the things to put on the bottom of vases and the back of frames.

Some people put on pad at each end. I put them all the way down. it helps my fabric from pushing ahead as I am cutting. Sometimes I just don't get that blade changed and just need to do one cut. That will sound familiar to a lot of us quilters.

I hope you have found a solution that works for you. There are many of us who have solved the individual problem we have.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by whispers4you View Post
i am having problems cutting my fabric straight no matter what i try-looks like i took a wrong turn when i'm cutting
I had that problem and noticed that because I was using the hard plastic banquet table for my cutting table that is bows in the middle with pressure. Thus making my cuts go crooked. If you use one of these tables try putting a hard board over it.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 AM

Try putting clear nail polish and sprinkle with salt..let dry and brush off excess dries clear..also before cutting make sure your ruler is lined up 90 degrees to your fold...also even up your cutting edge before you start cutting..bottom and top edge of fabric should be at 90 degrees use two rulers to help you do this...hope this helps...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 AM

My own experience of using "dots" on the rulers is that they get in my way at some point or another. Recently, I've been spraying a light coating of basting spray on my rulers, letting them set till dry, then they stick everywhere and are transparent. So far that is working.....
Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

and the height of your cutting table makes a difference too. you need to be above your fabric enough to have leverage on your ruler.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 AM

so when i'm cutting my fabric i should start at the bottom work my way up? i've been cutting from the top to the bottom