Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help Sprucing Up Child's Bedroom Suite >

Help Sprucing Up Child's Bedroom Suite

Help Sprucing Up Child's Bedroom Suite

Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 PM

I have a bedroom suite that was purchased for me when I was about 12 (we won't discuss how long ago that was). This set was used for my daughter, and is now headed to the bedroom of my 12 year old niece.
The furniture is white with gold trim and gold floral appliques.
Understandably, the gold trim has tarnished a bit over the years, however, the big change is that the frame around the mirror, which for some reason was made of plastic rather than wood, has yellowed considerably.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to any product that might re-whiten, or at least lighten, the plastic. Suggestions will certainly be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM

You can purchase a paint that is made for plastic. Its Krylon brand I believe. I purchased it at Walmart. Just test it on another plastic piece and see if you color matches the rest of the furniture. Good luck :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Take out the mirror and clean the frame with a degreaser, then paint it with your niece's favorite bright color. If you're good with spray paint, that's the easiest. Use a tiny brush to highlight the flowers on the other pieces with the same color.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Not unless there is a tiny piece of it you can wriggle off and take to a paint store. They can put it under a microscope and their computer can mix up paint to exactly match it.

Otherwise, there may be some sort of chemical treatment or cleaner that will remove the yellowing. Totally repainting French Provincial, which is what it sounds like to me, is going to be difficult.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 PM

It is French Provincial and you are right about the difficulty in touching it up. I long since decided the tarnished gold had lots of charm! I was just pondering trying one of the whitening toothpastes on a small area of the mirror frame to see what might happen. It would not be as harsh as many cleaners.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 AM

I had the same problem. I ended up painting mine. Nothing I tried had any effect on the yellowing.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by amazon
You can purchase a paint that is made for plastic. Its Krylon brand I believe. I purchased it at Walmart. Just test it on another plastic piece and see if you color matches the rest of the furniture. Good luck :thumbup:
I was going to suggest the same idea. The Krylon spray paint works very well ...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Take out the mirror and spray paint the frame. I woulldn't use white, as it'll be a different white than the rest of the the set. Perhaps an antique gold would be nice?

Not that you want to ... though I have seen older french provincial sets given a new life by changing their colour totally .... soft green or soft yellow can be nice.