Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Helping my son adjust to DD starting school? >

Helping my son adjust to DD starting school?

Helping my son adjust to DD starting school?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Just hang in there and he will adjust in a couple of days. Keep on him though. Don't let him think that bad behavior is acceptable. Let him be your special helper. My son is 4 loves this idea. He loves to help out. When I clean the kitchen he gets a Lysol wipe or two and wipes down whatever he can reach. In the livingroom he helps by dusting and picking up his toys. The hurry hurry hurry, fast as you can is his favorite game. Pick up something an run to put it away. If he helps you out it will keep him entertained and not so lonely.
We have also decided not to go the pre k route. But we do do "school" everyday. They sell those activity learning books at my dollar store. We have several of those that we work on. We have letters, numbers, shapes, basic math and a couple others. He loves them. He needs a little help usually but does really well. just something fun. He cannot wait to start school next year.
We do the same sort of workbooks pretty often. He really likes them, but after a certain point (which varies by day) will start doing things wrong on purpose for the attention, at which point I have to put them away.

I probably do need to involve him more in "my work". I do sometimes, but sometimes I just want to get stuff done.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
I had/have this same issue. I find that if I take time to play with my DS and he starts throughing a fit, I just tell him that he has to straighten up or lose time with me and I leave him to think about it.

Are his "fits" getting a rise out of you? What I mean is are you giving him more attention in dealing with them? What worked for me was to absolutely ignore the tantrums and them would stop almost immediately.
Sheila
When he was younger, ignoring the fits seemed to work better. Now maybe he's more attuned to the subtle cues that it gets to me or something, or maybe he's just doing it more to relieve frustration than to get a rise out of me, but he'll go on and on. I put in earplugs when the screaming starts (before anyone jumps on me, it's not like I can't hear anything with earplugs in. If he truly was hurt or needed something, I can hear. But it takes the edge off.). But sometimes I do lose patience, and so maybe I need to work harder at being consistent.