No matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,
WE ARE AWESOME !!!!
OUR LIFE IS LIVING PROOF !!!!

To Those of Us Born
1920 - 1979

TO ALL OF THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's,
60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered
with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.
Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from t he garden hose and not from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon.. We drank Kool-Aid made with real whi te sugar. And, we weren't overweight.. WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..
No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill,
only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping pong paddles, or just a bare20hand and no one would call child services to report abuse.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.
Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of us, CONGRATULATIONS!

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't
it ?

Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Love it and I survived part of the 40's, 50's 60.s and 70's. Things sure have changed. I never saw an obese person in my life until the last 20 years.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM

i think he's basically right, but not entirely. people are healthier today because they play more carefully and watch their health. my dh has vision in only one eye because he was hit with a flung rock.

the obesity is partly because of the suburbs. city kids walk and ride their bikes, country kids play outdoors, where they can run around. suburban kids don't leave their houses. there are no sidewalks and nowhere to go.
their over protective parents drive them everywhere because tv and newspapers scare us silly about kidnappers. so they get expensive toys to amuse them instead of friends, because both parents work to keep them in the suburbs. duh!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM

I thought you wrote this, but you said "he" so who is he?

By the way, I'd like to be on record as never having eaten worms or mud pies.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM

i would prefer not to tell you who he is, because he is not someone i normally agree with. i do on this issue, though.

if you never ate worms or mudpies, don't start now!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 AM

Perfect I think I did all but the worms. YUCK and I did raise my daughter of the 80's like I was raised and SHE LOVES IT NOW but when she was young oh I was the MEANEST MOM IN THE WORLD :lol: go figure, then one day she called me out of the blue and said mom thanks, and I said for what and she like for not raising me like all these kids today they don't know how to have FUN, they just want more and more and more.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

interesting how things have changed
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Awesome post! Now that is something.
Some of my personal favorites
1. Dumpster diving
2. Time-Out (kids don't even get that anymore)
3. Calling my friends parents Mr. & Mrs.
4. Riding in the camper (you know, making a sandwich or playing a board game or sleeping on a bed while mom and dad are in the front driving)
Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i would prefer not to tell you who he is, because he is not someone i normally agree with. i do on this issue, though.

if you never ate worms or mudpies, don't start now!
Not planning on eating either one.

No problem, but me being inquisitive, I googled it. It's all over the web, but no one is crediting anyone with it. A few places have a quote by Jay leno tacked on to the end, but that seems to be a separate thing from this. I don't really need to know who wrote it, but it's interesting that so many people have posted it, usually on their blogs, without even saying someone else created it.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM

i certainly take no credit or blame. if jay leno wants to claim it, fine with me. i heard it accredited to someone else in a different context.