Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Holidays Celebrated between October 1 and January 31. >

Holidays Celebrated between October 1 and January 31.

Holidays Celebrated between October 1 and January 31.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Default Holidays Celebrated between October 1 and January 31.

I am familiar with Halloween - October 31, Thanksgiving - fourth Thursday in October, Christmas - December 25, and New Year's Day - January 1.

What Holidays/Events do you celebrate (or do something special for)?

I am - vaguely - aware that different cultures celebrate different events - so I was wondering what and when they are.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:58 PM

There's Hanakah in there. And for a while Kwanza was a big thing. I have not heard anything about that one for a few years now I don't celebrate either so not sure when they are other than around Christmas
Old 11-26-2017, 05:39 PM

Resurrecting my Hallmark days, there's Bosses Day, 10/16, Sweetest Day, 3rd Sat. of month, All Saints Day, Nov. 1, Sadie Hawkins Day, Nov. 13, Advent, Starts Dec 3, Chanukah, Starts Dec 12, Festivus, Dec 23, Kwanza, Dec 26, and I forgot Veterans Day. There's surely a bunch I forgot!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I've heard that either Lowe's or Home Depot, can't remember which, but they are selling Festivus trees!!!! someone was sure to market it. My dh is Jewish, so we celebrate Chanukah. We have a white tree with white lights, and all pretty silver/white/aqua ornaments. you'd be surprised at the amount of ornaments I have. I have a dozen Star of David ornaments in aqua, and little 6 pointed stars with aqua streamers. I even have a tree topper that is silver with aqua beads on it. I have so many ornaments now, i can't hang them all.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:25 AM

Isn't the Festivus "tree" just a pole? Home Depot sells those all year long! LOL

I come from a pagan-based belief system, so in that time frame there is Samhain/November Eve (10/31 - the pagan New Year's Eve), and Yule/Winter solstice. Countless ways to celebrate those holidays, each group is a little different. I don't really celebrate them much, DH & I do a secular Christmas that is kind of a generic middle ground.

I do tend to light candles for any beloved dead for the year on November Eve, however. Tradition says that's the last day their spirits walk this plane before heading off to the Summerlands, so there are a lot of traditions around that. Lighting candles, setting out a dumb feast (empty plates at the dinner table), burying apples or pomegranates...all ways of saying 'goodbye'. I'm a skeptic, but I light candles for them anyway. Never a bad thing, to reflect on those you have loved, and lost.

By contrast, Yule/Solstice celebrations are usually a lot of fun. Usually involve a lot of dancing, bonfires, and drums through the longest night; then lots of cheering and bell-ringing and celebrating when the sun finally comes up. It's all about pushing the darkness away and enticing and celebrating the return of the sun, so it's a very happy and celebratory holiday that's enjoyable even if you're pretty sure the sun would rise without all the bells and drums encouraging it.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Russian Christmas Jan 7
Old 11-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Bearisgray, Thanksgiving is 4th Thursday in November not October. Sorry I noticed.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 AM

Epiphany January 6 (12th day of Christmas)

Elvis Presley birthday January 5
Sherlock Holmes birthday January 6
Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday January 15

Thanksgiving is a different date in Canada, I think.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Bearisgray, Thanksgiving is 4th Thursday in November not October. Sorry I noticed.
I am happy that someone has actually read my post!