HOLY COW....Walmart is

Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 AM

I like layaway. I don't have any credit cards, so this is good for me. I'll have to go check out what sewing machines they have.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 AM

yes I heard that on the TV this morning, but it was my understanding it was for toys and electronics
Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Kmart also has layaway again.

If the stores hadn't done away with layaway, maybe the country wouldn't be in such a credit card crisis....

sorry, just had to say it.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:39 AM

I hope they learn that they screwed up big time when they took away the fabric section. It is a crying shame to not get fabric there anymore. They always carried panels which were just precious for baby quilts. Regular quilt fabric stores do not carry those type of panels.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Don't mean to be a naysayer here, but until it actually arrives in the store here, I won't believe it. Kind of like all the stores getting material back. Won't be happening. One of our friends is head mgr. in a town north of us, and he has not heard of this.
Don't know whether layaway is coming back here, but only a few weeks before our Wal Mart started getting fabric into the store warehouse, a female assistant manager assured me--vehemently--that Wal Mart would never carry fabric again. It is possible that those Harvard MBA's don't tell the local yokels until the deed is done. froggyintexas
Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 AM

It is a sign of the times with this economy. I also use coupons to eat out with, too.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
I hope they learn that they screwed up big time when they took away the fabric section. It is a crying shame to not get fabric there anymore. They always carried panels which were just precious for baby quilts. Regular quilt fabric stores do not carry those type of panels.
They are available on line and they are made by most of the big name quilt fabric makers. Some area quilt shops are carrying more panels in spite of the sneers that the quilt police perpetually send toward those of us who love panels. I suspect that it is the LQS' fear of the quilt police that discourages them from stocking panels. I think the LQS ought to have a separate section of the store for those of us who love panels. Then the purists wouldn't have to be subjected to the presence of the impure. froggyintexas
Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
They are available on line and they are made by most of the big name quilt fabric makers. Some area quilt shops are carrying more panels in spite of the sneers that the quilt police perpetually send toward those of us who love panels. I suspect that it is the LQS' fear of the quilt police that discourages them from stocking panels. I think the LQS ought to have a separate section of the store for those of us who love panels. Then the purists wouldn't have to be subjected to the presence of the impure. froggyintexas
I can just picture a LQS with two entrances.... :thumbup:
Old 09-09-2011, 07:24 AM

One of our Wal-Marts never had their fabric department taken out the other one did.... THey put it back in last month.... we are a little vocal in our area lol
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM

I had never used layaway until last year when the Zhu-Zhu pets and their accessories were the hot item for kids. I loved it because I was able to get the rapidly disappearing toys for my nephews even if I didn't have the full amount at the time. I thought it was actually cheaper than using a credit card. I was able to pay off the amount in 4 weeks and I picked it up and it was packed up and everything! I'll wait and see about Walmart because last year, I wasn't impressed with their toy selection or kid's clothes at Christmas. I do think it is a good idea though as alot of people locally grumbled about it last year while we picked up our layaways at Kmart.