Home Made

Old 12-17-2023, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

And if one wants to get really picky about things - most ingredients/ components of items were purchased somewhere.

There are some exceptions, depending on where one lives and one's occupation.

My Mom , who was a "noticer" of how things were made, was not a fan of shoddy craftsmanship - especially at craft fairs.

she also tended to lo9k at the back side of embroidery work and the inside of garments.

The habit was passed on.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:34 AM

Bear, my mother was a lot like yours. She was a seamstress. I got my first 'bought' dress when I was 16. She always looked at the way an item was constructed and would tsk tsk over poor workmanship. The only thing she refused to sew with again was the shiny fabric my sister's bridesmaids' dresses were made from. Every needle mark showed and she was a perfectionist.

To me, home made pertains more to food--fewer additives, healthier ingredients, tailored flavour profile, less costly in the long run.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Well, as always, different things for different people. My mother made home made meals. She was a bad cook. So, home made by her not better. But, she was a fabulous knitter, so home made by her was great. My answer is "depends" on what and who
Old 12-17-2023, 04:14 PM

I think it depends on your background. My mother was an excellent seamstress who taught me to sew at an early age, so all of my clothing until I was well into my 30s was "homemade" but looked very professional, but homemade was not always a positive observation as many people in the 60s and 70s made clothing that had that "homemade" look which was not a compliment! I also associate homemade with food that is usually cooked primarily from scratch in a home kitchen. Handmade brings to mind those items made from any variety of materials that are transformed into something else by loving hands.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:30 AM

My quilting labels say "Hand made by Autumn".
Old 12-18-2023, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

To me homemade is for food and handmade is for any type of sewing.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Homemade to me is for food and handmade for non-food things like any kind of crafting.
My Mom was a fabulous cook and everything was from scratch. She loved to knit and read but her artistry was definitely in the kitchen.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

I only gift quilts that I have made to certain people. Other itemsss are bought. Some people are too picky.