homemade

Old 12-13-2014, 05:25 AM

This question always makes me smile. If I open a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese, cook it, and serve it--it's home made. My sister insists home made has to come from scratch.

In the quilting world, if you buy a kit with all the colors picked, the pattern enclosed, and sometimes pieces pre-cut and you sew it together don't you consider that home made? Thus, a box of Mac & Cheese and a quilt from a kit can be considered home made right LOL?
Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 AM

Homemade is something with love in it.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

If I buy it already to eat or wear at the store, it's not home made. If it's made with someone's hot little hands, it's home made. I found some items my boys (42 and 35) made in kindergarten. That is also home made (to me).
Old 12-13-2014, 06:35 AM

I knew a woman years ago that homemade was not only not using blue box mac-n-cheese you couldn't use the a box of noodles either you had to get the flour out and make your own pasta. By her standard I probably never cooked a "homemade" meal. Truthfully she rarely did either because everything took her hours she fed her family fast food at least twice a day probably 25 to 28 days a month. but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

So my theory on food is canned soups, boxed meals, boxed cakes and cookie mixes made following the directions with no variation are all home cooked. Any of the above items used as a base or ingredient making your own dish is homemade.

As far as crafts and quilts if I put it all together I made it if I used a precut quilt kit I still made it I just utilized someone else's skill of color and cutting, and yes I consider using a friend or professional LA to quilt it as homemade I'm utilizing a skill that someone else has....if I find a plain frame and decorate and give it I utilized a premade base for my "artistic" design.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

for how some things are made - " homemade" seems to be a compliment

for how some other things are msde - "homemade" does not seem to be a compliment

I asked the question in response to a thread in the PDA section.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 AM

The question is interesting...never really thought about it. I guess, to me, anything that takes some physical effort to produce a finished project is homemade. But, if I walk into a store and do nothing but purchase it and use it as is... it's not.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:31 PM

Homemade is for baking. Handmade is for something sewn made my me, such as a quilt.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:32 PM

I feel like any thing out of a box is cheating. I learned how to cook from my Mom- Gramma and my Great Aunt so I still cook every thing from scratch. And I taught my son to cook. Which has turned out to be a great thing -other wise my grand babies would be malnourished. DIL was taught how to open boxes and she even messes that up. I use to bake every thing from scratch from apple pies to zucchini bread. Now that its just me I don't bake any more. I cheat and buy store bought cookies and the rare loaf of bread. Now I still consider my quilts and cloths home made even tho they are done on the machine from start to finish. But MIL say's that only a 100% hand stitched quilt/clothes are really home made. So I wonder is buying store bought fabric considered cheating??
Old 12-14-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

in the household I grew up in -" homemade" food was a good thing

when it came to sewing - if Mom described an item as "homemade"- it meant it looked like it was made in the early part of someone's learning curve ( Mom did have a learning curve, too!)
Old 12-14-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Making something special with my DGKs is 'ultrahomemade'... it is easy to do homemade FOR them but with them is another challenge and a whole lot more memories.