Homemade washing detergent

Old 07-17-2010, 04:20 AM

My Daughter makes her own washing powders/detergent..
Old 07-17-2010, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
This isn't what you were asking but when my washer died I bought a front-load. Paid for it in 6 months same as cash.
Anyway, I cannot believe how long my detergent lasts! You only use 2T of dry per load or a tiny amt. of liquid. I was flabbergasted at how infrequently I have to buy detergent.
And my water bills, all that are down. I really love that front-load!!
QUILTINGHERE :I use Tide for front-loads. I'm not going to mess around- that thing was expensive!!! :D
Old 07-17-2010, 05:22 AM

washing soda is known as Arm and Hammer washing soda. It is available nowhere in my area. I even went on their website and searched 100 miles around me. Go to WM in the pool dept though and get ph up. Its about $4 and is the same thing. I used homemade laundry detergent until recently when dh started having a problem with his clothes not smelling good.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:15 AM

I was given a recipe or home made laundry soap. I was reluctant to use it in my front load machine but the lady that gave me the recipe said it didn't bother her machine at all. I only made one batch because I didn't think it was getting the whites very white (they were turning gray). I'm now back to Tide.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 AM

This is what I use and it's great! Also safe for HE machines because it's low suds.

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/24.htm

It's safer for the environment and not so harsh on your clothes. I don't have any fading problems. It's also a super money saver!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kathyd
I was given a recipe or home made laundry soap. I was reluctant to use it in my front load machine but the lady that gave me the recipe said it didn't bother her machine at all. I only made one batch because I didn't think it was getting the whites very white (they were turning gray). I'm now back to Tide.
I just wish they made the Mountain Spring Tide for front-loads. That was my favorite scent! I wrote and begged the company to make it LOL
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 AM

I have been making and using laundry detergent for a while now. I do the Borax, Fels Naptha, and washing soda. The soda is dif from the bicarbonate--be sure to get the right kind. Mine is made by Arm & Hammer and comes in a yellow box. I have a front end loader too and no probs. I switched not only because of cost but I have a septic tank.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by trueimage
This is what I use and it's great! Also safe for HE machines because it's low suds.

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/24.htm

It's safer for the environment and not so harsh on your clothes. I don't have any fading problems. It's also a super money saver!
I'm going to have to go here to get the washing soda. I did a search on it & it's not sold in anywhere in my area.