Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: hospital dolls

hospital dolls

Has anyone ever made dolls for sick children? I just found out about these today. I know it is just the body so the children can color on them but I am not sure of the size or material. Thank you!

http://www.musckids.org/volunteers/B...structions.pdf

I found this link. It might be a place to start. I know a great many children's hospital use these.

Our quilting group makes these for the Children's Hospital locally. I'm told the doctors draw on them to depict the location of their illness.

The Kiwanis have a program like this. http://www.kiwanis-poupee.be/home.php?lg=en
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I volunteer in the sewing room of our local Children's Hospital, and we make hundreds of these each year. They remind me of a gingerbread boy. I'd say they are about 16" tall. We use a range of skin tones for fabric. The fabric reminds me of a poly/cotton lining fabric. I think that's the only thing we can find with a range of colors from light beige to dark tan. Both links above give good information, although we do not stuff ours that hard.

We dress each doll in a gown that is open in the back and ties at the neck.

We also make a preemie version, which is only about 8 inches tall. I think these are used to talk to older siblings about their new tiny brother or sister.

I can measure a pattern on Monday if you would like. Let me know.

yel
    Blog Entries
    riley's cheer guild used to have a pattern .............like quilt 1950 said they look like'' ginger bread men''i used the cardboard from a metal sign for a pattern [to give you an idea of the size ] we do a print on one side and a light color on the other

Sounds like something I could do. Will contact my Kiwanis locally. If they do not do them, does anyone out there need some help? Message me.

Quote Originally Posted by marigold View Post
    Has anyone ever made dolls for sick children? I just found out about these today. I know it is just the body so the children can color on them but I am not sure of the size or material. Thank you!
    We have been making ME dolls for at least 7 years. We have shared the pattern all over the county. We started out making them for Shriners' Hospital in Tampa -- Now we give them to any hospital that requests them During our quilt show in Sept we usually make about 350-400.

If you would like the pattern, let me know.

]Nancy Parrish

Our local Children's Hospital guild makes them for Seattle Children's Hospital. They sent us the directions and a template. They also sent us a pattern for little hospital gowns. I think you can find the info on their website.

Hi, there Marigold
    Yes last year at my NeedleArts Adventure retreat they was a lady their constructing the dolls and making the clothes. From the information I could get from her you picked which group you wanted make the doll or makes the clothes it was so cute. I have no idea where you get the pattern from for the doll it self, but she did share the pattern for the clothes.

Vontina

Hi, Nancy
    Yes, I would like a the pattern, we are doing a project for our quilt guild called project night night which includes story book, small plush toy, and kid blanket this is for children that are taken from a home of violence.

-Vontina

What a loving Idea...! ! !
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Nancy, Would you be willing and able to share the pattern with everyone? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nancytp12 View Post
    We have been making ME dolls for at least 7 years. We have shared the pattern all over the county. We started out making them for Shriners' Hospital in Tampa -- Now we give them to any hospital that requests them During our quilt show in Sept we usually make about 350-400.

If you would like the pattern, let me know.

]Nancy Parrish

Blog Entries
    I would really like to have the pattern for the ME dolls. Love the fact that they don't have faces. Thank you for your time.
    Ellie (aka sewellie)
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Nancy,
    I would like the pattern also. I make rag dolls only 12" and she is a girl as are her clothes. But would like to make some larger for use in the local Pediatric ward at local hospital.
    Peg
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

Nancy, I would also like the pattern. Thanks and what a great thing for the sick children. Thank you.

pw6
    Please may I have a pattern also, I have lots of time and scraps and I save all my batting leftovers.. thanks so very much
    [email protected]

I made my first doll. Head is lopsided, over stuffed and if I were a child I would laugh when I saw it. Where is the belly button? I used the Kiwanis pattern and really it is fun.

Blog Entries
    I clicked on the Kiwanis web site and could not find the pattern for these dolls. So I really would like the pattern. Thank you for your time!
    Ellie
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

If you go under Kiwanis hospital dolls you should be fine.