House-hunting drama

Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM

maybe she loves the house too, and would not moving voluntarily. right after a divorce is such a difficult time-real loss and grieving.
good thoughts on having this work out for you. knowing her house is going to good people might just give her a little comfort. if you have a good agent I'm sure he can smooth over the rough spots of negotiation-

:-D :-D
Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 AM

You think you have problems? Listen to this. My home of 50 + years went on the market in December 2010. Within 5 days I had a buyer. We wrote the contract, etc and set a closing date for January. No. 1, the buyer defaulted on the contract. Her lawyer kept saying she isn't ready yet. So we agreed to go along with her because it was winter and an especially bad time to sell a house.

Forgot all about this buyer. Had some showings, but nothing concrete. People are not looking to buy, they are just nosy and it's good entertainment for a weekend. They look at it, "Oh, it's lovely." and we never hear from them again. Until last week, my realtor got a call from the original buyer that had defaulted that she was ready now. I gave her 30 days to close on a new contract with no refund of the earnest money.

What a headache.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM

About buying house and owner backing out,that is exactly what happened to our children...do you think that's a phase right now.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmagnet
About buying house and owner backing out,that is exactly what happened to our children...do you think that's a phase right now.
Have to wonder, are they forced onto the market, because of all thats going on, Divorce, forclosures, etc. then given the possible chance to keep, refi's etc. Causing the feet to drag and slowing you down. Seems like almost always drama when house buying.
Sorry you've ran across the situation, be patient if this falls thru. It was meant to be. Think of how Great the Right one will be!! Hang in there :)

And the comment about the sewing machine and white dog, too cute. Thanks for the laugh!! :thumbup:
Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Just to clarify, and I appreciate the advice from everyone, and I'm not trying to offend anyone.

This will be the second home I've purchased, and an inspection is state law. It can't be preformed until up to and including 10 days after we go under contract. Once I make an offer and the seller accepts, I can't get out of it, or I could be in serious legal trouble, so that's why I'm being so picky about our new house.

So we saw the other house, and it just wasn't for me. The seller of the house we wanted rejected our offer, didn't even bother to counter. So, we are going to wait awhile and watch that house closely and see what happens. She obviously doesn't want to move, but if that's the case she should take it off the market and stop jerkin' people around because we're not the first offer on that house.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

"Good luck, hard to understand people.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
Just to clarify, and I appreciate the advice from everyone, and I'm not trying to offend anyone.

This will be the second home I've purchased, and an inspection is state law. It can't be preformed until up to and including 10 days after we go under contract. Once I make an offer and the seller accepts, I can't get out of it, or I could be in serious legal trouble, so that's why I'm being so picky about our new house.

So we saw the other house, and it just wasn't for me. The seller of the house we wanted rejected our offer, didn't even bother to counter. So, we are going to wait awhile and watch that house closely and see what happens. She obviously doesn't want to move, but if that's the case she should take it off the market and stop jerkin' people around because we're not the first offer on that house.
I can appreciate the drama of house hunting. But I'm not understanding how she is jerking you around. It sounds like you made a low-ball offer and she didn't take it. The end. Having to "deal" is so uncomfortable to me, I know I'd set a price and that would be it. Maybe that's what's going on. I'm sure you'll find something. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
We're going to make an offer tomorrow morning. It's on the market for $135,900 and we're making an offer of $130,000, and she needs to either fix the floor in the kitchen (the laminate is coming apart and it's cracked, which they tried to hide with a rug) and she needs to have a door replaced (she cut a huge hole in the bottom!), or she needs to give us an allowance to fix it ourselves.

The backyard needs a total overhaul and it's just...really dirty. Like, not messy, but dirty and unclean (mold in the coffee pot!). The whole thing is just really weird, but if she rejects our offer, she has to take it off the market (according to her agent).

Every lender that I know of requires an appraisal of the property to determine if the value meets the sales price. If the appraisal comes in with no landscaping in the back yard, for instance, then the value reflects that. Repairs are usually all negotiable. The seller will determine if your offer is acceptable or not. If not, they will reject it or counteroffer. They do not have to take the house off the market if you offer less and they don't accept it. If this is the house you want, then I hope it works out for you!

It sounds like your agent needs to do a better job of preparing you for the process. You do have your own agent representing you? I don't mean to be mean, but his/her job is to see that you understand all of these processes. I wish you luck.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 PM

Make sure when you make an offer you list absolutely evrything you can think of that needs repair and approximate cost to get the seller to see there is work that has to be done and a reduction in asking price is reasonable. We have moved many times over the years and loked at more homes then we would like. Our oldest has made most of those moves with us and from a very early age has analized what he likes in homes especially on building or refurb programs.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Power Poster

Make sure you have a reputable real estate agent...someone who is open and honest with you! I agree with having a licensed inspector to do the inspection while you are there! Do your homework. Listen to your female instincts! We all have them! You'll know what decisions you need to make! Keep us posted!