housework

Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 AM

I guess I'm not a very good Nana. My youngest daughter, 27, and her two little girls, 7 and 5, have lived with my DH and I since before the first little girl one was born. We have a very small house. For it to look clean, everything has to be in it's place. Of course, with kids, comes lots and lots and lots of toys, clothes, messes, and clutter. While they were living with us, I managed to turn a blind eye to all that, but now that they have their own place (it's been 2 months), I still haven't gotten used to the house just being me and my DH and, frankly, I love it. It's really nice to be alone after so long. My DH and I were married just a few months before my daughter moved back home pregnant with #1, so my DH and I have never really had time to live together, just the two of us and to be 'newlyweds'. My DD moved out to try and make it work with the dad, just long enough to get pregnant again, but it didn't work out so she moved back in again. I wasn't pleased with the outcome, but as a mother I had to help my daughter when she needed it for as long as she needed it. Finally, at 28 and with a profession as a hair stylist, she can be on her own.

So, as much as I love, love, love my g'kids, I also love having that alone time with my DH and the clean and uncluttered house that we have now. Not nearly the amount of cleaning, less laundry, less messes, less noise, less stress. Plus I have two bedrooms and a bathroom back. One room is my sewing room now and the other is a bedroom with bunkbeds for the g'kids when they spend the night.

I still watch the two girls two evenings a week when my daughter works late and most every weekend, so it's nice to see them occasionally, and then watch them go to their own place. I have to admit that I love having my house 'back' and enjoy time with my DH, and sewing, gardening and relaxing.

My oldest daughter and her husband have two beautiful children who also live nearby but they are settled, and don't 'rely' on us as much for help as my single-mom daughter has.

I'm a bad Nana.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Yeah, gotta take care of the floor. you never know when you're going to step into some delayed time-release super glue. One thing I do not allow in my house is gum. I can't stand to look at people who chew gum. It looks like a cow chewing cud. Not cool! Not fun to step in either. Waste of money! OOPs started to ramble again.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM

LOL my 'grands' are coming for the weekend but they're two German Shepherd Dogs. I get all the usual grandkid mess plus hair. I also get kissed if my face gets too close and the pair tries to hang out in the kitchen because they know home cookin' rules. They also know how to obey, "OUT of my kitchen" Tummy-rubbing a 110 pounder is quite an experience. When they leave I ask their 'father' to tote all the furniture throws, dog pillows and area rugs to the washing machine.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:39 PM

My DH can outshine the grands in the mess making contest. He is an outdoors kind of guy and in and out all day. And honestly, he always leaves crumbs every where in the kitchen, counter and at his place at the table. I just clean it up just glad he is still around. Once you hit 65 you just never know.

I always miss those children and grands so much after they leave, so picking up and wiping up keeps my mind off of it a while. My girls leave everything so neat and tidy when they leave there is not that much to do.

If I worked it would be a much bigger deal, so saying to all of you that you must retire at the earliest date possible. Many worry way too much about not having enough money but I say it is worth it to have your freedom to do what you want not what someone wants you to do.