Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do I know which model my Singer machine is >
  • How do I know which model my Singer machine is

• How do I know which model my Singer machine is

Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM

I've had this machine setting for quite a while - kind of a decoration in my sewing room. :lol: :lol: I know when and where it was made, but how do I find out what model it is? I looked up some info online - thinking it might be a 99 or 99K but it looks like some of the photos and not like others. It is supposed to have a knee bar and I'm hoping to replace that after I find out exactly what I have. Since it uses a knee bar, does that mean there is no foot pedal? I can't find any place where one might plug in. I'm hoping to be able to use this machine. It seems to run so smoothly when I turn the wheel by hand. Would appreciate any info or suggestions you might be able to share.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-257239.jpe  
    Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM

lostn51--- billy would know on the vintage machine site here on the board. there are a lot of people who could tell you what # it is. I saw one just like it in POwers Lake yesterday with a treadle cabinet. was also electric. the guy wanted 150 to 200 bucks for it. I told him good luck finding someone around here.
    Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM

It's a 99, nice one! Good luck with that kneebar...they're hard to come by, since once they're separated from the machine, no one knows what they are! You might find one on ebay, or maybe post a want ad on Needlebar or ISMACS...

The other option would be to convert it to a handcrank...they're an awful lot of fun to sew with! :)
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
    lostn51--- billy would know on the vintage machine site here on the board. there are a lot of people who could tell you what # it is. I saw one just like it in POwers Lake yesterday with a treadle cabinet. was also electric. the guy wanted 150 to 200 bucks for it. I told him good luck finding someone around here.
    I'll keep lostn51 in mind. Was gonna pm them and realized they have their hands full right now. Thanks for the info.
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    It's a 99, nice one! Good luck with that kneebar...they're hard to come by, since once they're separated from the machine, no one knows what they are! You might find one on ebay, or maybe post a want ad on Needlebar or ISMACS...

The other option would be to convert it to a handcrank...they're an awful lot of fun to sew with! :)
    Thanks for the info. At least I know what model it is. :lol: I'll keep watching ebay, needlebar and ISMACS, plus anything else I run across while hunting. Hate to turn it into a handrank machine. I already have one and it sews nicely. Don't have one with the knee bar but I'm working on it. :lol: :lol:
    Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 AM

The kneebar stores inside the case, up near the handle. If you haven't looked yet, you might be lucky!

Pat
    Old 09-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by fluffygirl
    The kneebar stores inside the case, up near the handle. If you haven't looked yet, you might be lucky!

Pat
    I looked already. :-( But thanks for the tip. Maybe it will help someone else one of these days.
    Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM

I have a little 99 that I put a handcrank on last weekend!! I LOVE it!! It needed the kneebar, and I couldn't find one...after looking for 6 months!! Well, not exactly true...I found 2, but they were so dadgum expensive I would not even consider buying either. So, I did the handcrank. LOVE it!! You can get handcranks and a spoked handwheel needed for the handcrank at sew-classic.com. Total about $30 or so.
    Old 09-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
    I have a little 99 that I put a handcrank on last weekend!! I LOVE it!! It needed the kneebar, and I couldn't find one...after looking for 6 months!! Well, not exactly true...I found 2, but they were so dadgum expensive I would not even consider buying either. So, I did the handcrank. LOVE it!! You can get handcranks and a spoked handwheel needed for the handcrank at sew-classic.com. Total about $30 or so.
    I checked out the sew-classic.com site. They have a lot of stuff. I'll probably be going back to them for some things. Don't really want to go with the handcrank as I have 1 already. But I am checking into putting a foot controller on it instead of the kneebar. Thanks for the info on the site. :lol: