Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you fit so much yardage in a priority box >

How do you fit so much yardage in a priority box

How do you fit so much yardage in a priority box

Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 AM

I have a medium size priority box I plan on shipping fabric in. I have read of people getting lots of fabric in these boxes. How do you fold to do that?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
I have a medium size priority box I plan on shipping fabric in. I have read of people getting lots of fabric in these boxes. How do you fold to do that?
The secret is rolling the fabric, not folding. Take your fabric and fold it the width of the box and than roll tightly, lay down in the box and roll the next piece, fit them tightly together and continue.:)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
The secret is rolling the fabric, not folding. Take your fabric and fold it the width of the box and than roll tightly, lay down in the box and roll the next piece, fit them tightly together and continue.:)
thank you I will try that. I had tried rolling but of course I had it going the other way . duh!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 AM

I haven't shipped, but have recived lots, and I noticed the method that *dakotamaid* discribes seems to get the most fabric in...... great job,,,, packers! I was amazed to see much in some of the boxs.....
Old 04-11-2011, 07:32 AM

This is a great way to pack for vacations and other trips too. More stuff, less bags.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
This is a great way to pack for vacations and other trips too. More stuff, less bags.
I travel and roll my stuff when packing, but never would have thought to roll fabric for mailing. Duh!
BTW love your avatar!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
I travel and roll my stuff when packing, but never would have thought to roll fabric for mailing. Duh!
BTW love your avatar!
I roll clothes in my dresser. I have an old 30's one that doesn't have as big of drawers. I roll and everything fits with room to spare.:-)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
BTW love your avatar!
Thanks.

Packing to move so many times has brought about alot of new ideas/trials.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 AM

Well I almost have the box packed. It works like a charm. I don't know how anyone else does it. but I folded my fabric cut end to cut end. Fan folded that to the width of the box then rolled.
Thanks so much for the advise.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

Another idea is to put the rolled fabric inside a plastic bag with a zip closure. When you squeeze the air out of the bag after zipping closed you can shrink it down a little bit more.

When sending also include the to and from information on the inside of the plastic bag in the event something happens to the outside of the box the shipping information will be included inside.

Cover the to and from information on the outside of the package with clear tape to protect the information.

Pam M