Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How eccentric is your family?

My girlfriend and I were talking about her doll house tribute to her great grandmother on facebook and that she added an upside down washtub to the garden as a tribute to my grandmother.

My grandmother was buried in the backyard for 19 years. When she died she was cremated. My grandfather dug a hole in the garden and lined it with bricks and covered it with plexiglass and then he decided he didn't want her to get wet so he turned an old washtub over the hole.

When my great grandmother died one of my uncles took her to Oklahoma in the back of a pickup truck to be buried. She was in a casket and the pickup had a topper.

There is a thin line between eccentric and dysfunctional. I now prefer to refer to my family as eccentric.
    My Dad has great faith in duct tape. It can fix almost everything. My younger brother died a few years back completely unexpectedly. He was cremated in Florida and UPS delivered him home. My Dad buried him in the side garden but not before he wrapped the urn in plastic and duct tape. Although it is so very sad, I can't help smiling when I think of the duct tape and I know my brother would too!

now if you had said nuts irritating annoying pain in the bums that would be my family

Blog Entries
    [quote=MrsM]There is a thin line between eccentric and dysfunctional. I now prefer to refer to my family as eccentric.
    ----------------------------------------
    Yup, that's MY family. Eccentric as all get out!!! I'll admit that sometimes we pass that and verge on something between strange, and nuts. But I'd bet that us nuts have more fun than anyone else!! As for myself, I'll admit that I'm having more fun in my second childhood than my first.

My family, to include in-laws and out-laws, are all over the top nuts. Doesn't seems like any of them are normal. BUT, I am still perfect. :P :P :P :oops:

I say my family keeps life interesting...this includes the in-laws! Nice to know I am not the only perfect one, KathyAire...lol.

Were eccentric and proud to be. :)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsM
    There is a thin line between eccentric and dysfunctional. I now prefer to refer to my family as eccentric.
    My Dad has great faith in duct tape. It can fix almost everything. My younger brother died a few years back completely unexpectedly. He was cremated in Florida and UPS delivered him home. My Dad buried him in the side garden but not before he wrapped the urn in plastic and duct tape. Although it is so very sad, I can't help smiling when I think of the duct tape and I know my brother would too!
    It's some what comforting to know I'm not the only one with relatives buried in the yard. I like the duct tape touch too.

Sadly, I think my family is definitely on the dysfunctional side of the line rather than eccentric. In fact, I can't really think of anyone who'd be described as eccentric, so I guess they're just dysfunctional.

Like my aunt who'd fake a heart attack when she didn't get her way. I mean, to the point where the ambulance would come out.

And then there was my mother...

I started to give my grandmother things I wanted because after 3 months she gave the gifts back she would enjoy them then change her decor :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Like my aunt who'd fake a heart attack when she didn't get her way. I mean, to the point where the ambulance would come out.
    Well, it's not like she stopped a funeral procession on the highway to take a pee...or popped open a Pabst in between the firings of a 21 gun salute (courtesy of my uncle both times). But that is pretty brave of her, I must admit.

I say my family is colorful - between my side and my husbands, those 2 categories are pretty limiting! :-D

It's my MIL who is exxentric, I can't talk to her without her mentioning her third eye and psychic predictions.

I always thought my family a bit disfunctional, eccentric if you wish. After reading these, I now think we may have been closer to the Cleavers!

Of course, my husband's cousins did start a fist fight in front of their mother's casket!

WOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    My family, to include in-laws and out-laws, are all over the top nuts. Doesn't seems like any of them are normal. BUT, I am still perfect. :P :P :P :oops:
    Oh, so funny!

Blog Entries
    Does my ex-husband's crashing my 2nd wedding ceremony dressed in my clothes count as eccentric, dysfunctional, or what?
    And no, he's not a cross-dresser.

After my husband died of cancer my daughter and I went to the funeral home to pick up his ashes. On the way out I was almost in tears then my daughter said "And I didn't think Dad could lose any more weight." So instead of crying we both had a good laugh. (He would have appreciated the humor).

Blog Entries
    I'm ROFLMAO ! oh my stars, I think we are all related in some way.

When my grandmothed died I went to funeral home and saw my mother for the first time in about 20 years.....her first words were something like : "so miss rich bitch are those your bastards?"....meaning my children of course......my 6'4" 250 lb uncle picked her up, threw her over his shoulder and took her out the back door of the funeral home until I left......

As far as funeral stories I have a friend that has the best......she said her father in law died and she and her husband took MIL to funeral home for the first viewing....the MIL replied "oh, he looks so stiff!"......

Same family, my friend's father died...he was retired Navy man and someone had sent a floral wreath to funeral home shaped like an anchor..the way it was positioned looked like a giant finger pointing to casket !

Another friend of mine's mother died; went to funeral and a nephew came in dressed as an Elvis impersonator.....it certainly put the "fun" back in funeral ! This same friend was going to a funeral in a small town in South Ga that she wasn't familiar with.....kept getting lost and one 3 different occasions stopped at same convenience store to ask directions....finally she thought she had it.....ended up having to merge on a 1 way street; pushed her way into traffic and lo and below she pushed her way into the funeral procession.....folks were honking their horns and waving their fists........they wouldn't look her in the eye when she got to country church and got out of the car !

I've had counseling over the years and at my counselor's office I saw a cartoon of an empty auditorium and the banner said somthing like "meeting of all those from normal families"

Have another friend whose father died in AL, was creamated and wanted to be buried in North Dakota or somewhere far away; friend put urn in back of his truck and was driving to N. D., someone rear ended my friends truck, urn came open and ashes were scattered all over the bed of the truck ! He said they just sort of used their hands and scrapped as much as they could and put back in urn......

Blog Entries
    About the ex husband crashing the wedding in your clothes is hysterical !

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Does my ex-husband's crashing my 2nd wedding ceremony dressed in my clothes count as eccentric, dysfunctional, or what?
    And no, he's not a cross-dresser.
    Your not seriously going to tell us that without giving us more details, are you??? There has to be a great story behind that, unless he was just nuts--then I guess it would be a really sad story.

My family is fine, just me and the parents. I'm and only and so is dad. My husband's side...well, that's another story.... 8-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    just dysfunctional here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Sadly, I think my family is definitely on the dysfunctional side of the line rather than eccentric. In fact, I can't really think of anyone who'd be described as eccentric, so I guess they're just dysfunctional.

And then there was my mother...
    :lol:

Some of these posts remind me of my dad. He had a quirky sense of humor. We were at the cemetary for my brother-in-law's funeral and he made the comment that it was a very popular place. "Everyone was dying to get in."