Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HOW TO LOCK YOUR CAR DOOR AND WHY >

HOW TO LOCK YOUR CAR DOOR AND WHY

HOW TO LOCK YOUR CAR DOOR AND WHY

Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by sassycat2sew

Snopes Approved --Please share with everyone you know
Heh. Apparently chain mail generators have caught on that we check the facts.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 AM

Read on in snopes. This is far too technical for any thief to be successful at. If you are really still concerned use the lock on the door. My dumb remote only works when I'm standing beside it anyway.:)
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 AM

Don't just accept "Snopes approved" - check it for yourself at Snopes.com. They say it used to be feasible, but is no longer feasible as modern key remotes generate a different code each time you press the button, so no one can capture "your" code and use it again.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 AM

And while I am on a rant, how many times have you been woken up by a neighbor's car horn tooting when they use the remote to lock or unlock? You can program them to NOT blow the horn, but to flash the lights or simply do nothing. I am always standing next to the car when I lock, so I can hear the click as the locks lock. I see no need to add to noise pollution and annoy people. Thank you, stepping off my soapbox now...
Old 12-16-2010, 06:02 AM

Thanks for sharing this, but I don't have to worry about it, we don't have a car new enough for the electronic key locks.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Banned

How scary!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sassycat2sew
Subject: How to Lock Your Car and Why

FYI
How to Lock Your Car and Why Not a Joke!

I locked my car. As I walked away I heard my car door unlock. I went back and locked my car again three times. Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I would hear it unlock again!! Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the store. They were obviously watching me intently, and there was no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird situation. I quickly chucked the errand I was on, jumped in my car and sped away. I went straight to the police station , told them what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to gain entry into cars . Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar happening..

While traveling, my friend's son stopped at a roadside rest to use the bathroom. When he came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later, someone had gotten into his car and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator, briefcase … you name it He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into, the police told him he had been a victim of the latest robbery tactic -- there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device.

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and that they now have a few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door -by hitting the lock button inside the car -- that way if there is someone sitting in a parking lot watching for their next victim, it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting, it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain, it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be instantly stolen.
This is very real.

Be wisely aware of what you just read and please pass this note on. Look how many times we all lock our doors with our remote just to be sure we remembered to lock them -- and bingo, someone has our code....and whatever was in our car.

Snopes Approved --Please share with everyone you know
If your lucky! Some car keytags reset codes each time its set/locked. My hubby just said ours does on our 93' Saturn Vue. 8-)
Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 AM

OK>>>MY BIG question here is when locking our car doors by hand...HOW DOES this engage the alarm system ??
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 AM

I had heard this before. Thanks for the reminder!!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 AM

Wow! what next? I always lock mine manually cuz for some strange reason my driver door only locks that way. This is great to know tho. Thanks!