Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81

Thread: How many Iowegians?

  1. #1
    Power Poster oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    10,265
    Blog Entries
    1
    DA and I are wondering---How many Iowegians are roaming the threads of this forum? Give a reply to let us know.

  2. #2
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,800
    Blog Entries
    50
    Oksewglad I am from SE Iowa. Almost to the Missouri border. We are about 50 miles north of Keokuk and 30 miles west of Burlington.
    I have lived here all my life.
    Grew up in this small Iowa town.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kansas City area USA
    Posts
    445
    I grew up in Nebraska and now live in Kansas.... both states are close to Iowa!!!! It is a beautiful state and home to wonderful quilters too!!

    Jodi
    Leavenworth Kansas

  4. #4
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,800
    Blog Entries
    50
    I know of at least 8 board members besides myself that live in Iowa. If they see your thread I hope they will speak up.

  5. #5
    Member telby69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northwest Iowa
    Posts
    35
    **Raising hand waving wildly** Me! Me! I will claim that as one of my titles..


  6. #6
    Super Member dvseals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,085
    *Waves* Me too all my life :)

  7. #7
    Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,540
    I grew up in Iowa and still consider it "home".

  8. #8
    community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hyndman, PA
    Posts
    1,207
    Learned something new today. People from Iowa are called "Iowegians". I'll have to share that with my cousin. She moved to Ankeny, Iowa in February.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,800
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by collettakay
    Learned something new today. People from Iowa are called "Iowegians". I'll have to share that with my cousin. She moved to Ankeny, Iowa in February.
    The more common description is Iowans. My sons are both electricians and they had to stay in Ankeny and take classes to become certified when they first started. I had to go pick them up a few times there. Nice little town. That is about 3 hrs from us.

  10. #10
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    My office-mate went to Law School at Drake, and said that if moved to any other state, it would be Iowa. He said it was great, beautiful with really nice people. My neice lives in W. Burlington and so far, all my experience with Iowans says it's a GREAT place!!

    And hey, there's some pretty great quilters there too! I have a lovely doll quilt from an Iowan named RHONDA!!!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Roben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW IA
    Posts
    900
    Southwest Iowa over here :lol:

  12. #12
    Power Poster oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    10,265
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by collettakay
    Learned something new today. People from Iowa are called "Iowegians". I'll have to share that with my cousin. She moved to Ankeny, Iowa in February.
    I think we may use the term Iowegian as a knock off from the term Norwegian> Although not of Norwegian heritage (I'm half Swede :lol: ), I live near the center of Norw-Am culture (Decorah). I think the term Iowan is the common term.

  13. #13
    Power Poster oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    10,265
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Oksewglad I am from SE Iowa. Almost to the Missouri border. We are about 50 miles north of Keokuk and 30 miles west of Burlington.
    I have lived here all my life.
    Grew up in this small Iowa town.
    Rhonda--my great grandparents crossed the Mississippi by ferry at Clinton and settled in the Sigourney area back in the 1800's. How far from you? It's been a rural lifetime for me too.

  14. #14
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,800
    Blog Entries
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Oksewglad I am from SE Iowa. Almost to the Missouri border. We are about 50 miles north of Keokuk and 30 miles west of Burlington.
    I have lived here all my life.
    Grew up in this small Iowa town.
    Rhonda--my great grandparents crossed the Mississippi by ferry at Clinton and settled in the Sigourney area back in the 1800's. How far from you? It's been a rural lifetime for me too.
    That is funny! When I met my DH his family lived on a farm outside Sigourney. Dad is gone now and Mom lives with her youngest son's family in Burlington Iowa. We used to go to the farm every weekend. I could drive to Sigourney with my eyes closed.
    There are three routes we would take and I know them all really well!! My kids practically grew up there on the farm. We spent alot of time in Sigourney and What Cheer and Keota and Keswick. We still go up to Osky(local version of Oscaloosa) some but not as much as we did when mom and dad still lived on the farm. They moved into town(Sigourney) when my kids were in High School.
    My husband's one brother still lives in What Cheer. I could tell you lots of stories aabout our tears in and around Sigourney!
    Point of information that is interesting. Sigourney is an indian word and when they dug the lake outside of Sigourney they named it Lake Yenrougis (Sigourney backwards) pronounced yen-row-gus The Keota indians lived in this area long ago. We used to go fishing there alot
    Sigourney is like another home town to me. It is about 80 miles from us. When my kids were little there were no Casey's or any stores open on Sundays so we knew where the parks were and we would have to find a road out of site of the highway for a bathroom for the kids! LOL We never made the trip without having to stop a couple of times!

  15. #15
    Power Poster oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    10,265
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Oksewglad I am from SE Iowa. Almost to the Missouri border. We are about 50 miles north of Keokuk and 30 miles west of Burlington.
    I have lived here all my life.
    Grew up in this small Iowa town.
    Rhonda--my great grandparents crossed the Mississippi by ferry at Clinton and settled in the Sigourney area back in the 1800's. How far from you? It's been a rural lifetime for me too.
    That is funny! When I met my DH his family lived on a farm outside Sigourney. Dad is gone now and Mom lives with her youngest son's family in Burlington Iowa. We used to go to the farm every weekend. I could drive to Sigourney with my eyes closed.
    There are three routes we would take and I know them all really well!! My kids practically grew up there on the farm. We spent alot of time in Sigourney and What Cheer and Keota and Keswick. We still go up to Osky(local version of Oscaloosa) some but not as much as we did when mom and dad still lived on the farm. They moved into town(Sigourney) when my kids were in High School.
    My husband's one brother still lives in What Cheer. I could tell you lots of stories aabout our tears in and around Sigourney!
    Point of information that is interesting. Sigourney is an indian word and when they dug the lake outside of Sigourney they named it Lake Yenrougis (Sigourney backwards) pronounced yen-row-gus The Keota indians lived in this area long ago. We used to go fishing there alot
    Sigourney is like another home town to me. It is about 80 miles from us. When my kids were little there were no Casey's or any stores open on Sundays so we knew where the parks were and we would have to find a road out of site of the highway for a bathroom for the kids! LOL We never made the trip without having to stop a couple of times!
    Gets to be a small world doesn't it--I think families were around Clear Creek (does that sound right) Late 1800's a couple of relatives were killed in a tornado.

  16. #16
    Super Member DA Mayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stacyville Iowa
    Posts
    1,636
    My two sisters are from Iowa also, I am not sure if they have posted for awhile.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    830
    I lived in Ankeny, Iowa between 1990-98. Great town with nice people.

    My three children graduation from the school system. One of the reasons we lived in that town was for the school system. Older son attended four years of high school and younger children went through the middle and high school system.

    Most of the people I met in Iowa were down to earth and sincere. If I hadn't had family obligations in Michigan, I would have stayed in that locale.

    I haven't been back in a decade, but fondly recall those days :-)

  18. #18
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Count my in. I live in SW Iowa. My family loves it here.

  19. #19
    Senior Member triciasquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Oksewglad I am from SE Iowa. Almost to the Missouri border. We are about 50 miles north of Keokuk and 30 miles west of Burlington.
    I have lived here all my life.
    Grew up in this small Iowa town.
    I'm not from Iowa, but grew up in a small town directly east of Keokuk on Rte 136 in IL. About 20 minutes away. Now I live in Montana.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    113
    I live in central Iowa on the Iowa River. I've lived in Iowa all my life and love it. It's fun to travel to other states but always good to come home.

  21. #21
    Senior Member johnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Oklahoma
    Posts
    498
    I was born and raised in Iowa. Left there when I was 21 and haven't been back except for short visits. My family and my in laws are all there. I have to say it is very pretty up there, but I like the Oklahoma climate better. Suits my joints better in the winter. I love to go to Grinnell Fiberworks when I get back there. I have promised myself next trip I am going to Winterset to Fons and Porter's store. Hmmm, I feel a trip coming on.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Desert Hot Springs, CA
    Posts
    276
    I grew up in Iowa--born in Milo (not on the map!) went to school in Chariton and high school in Des Moines. I flew back to Des Moines this summer to visit brother and sister. I was the youngest of 13. I also have an older sister living in assisted living in Cedar Rapids. We drove over to see her with a nephew and a niece. She was overwhelmed and cried a lot. She had a very big collection of quilt tops (4 were hand pieced by my mother who died in 1970) and the others she got at estate sales, etc. I had them shipped home and will send pics when I get there. I am so thrilled with them. I now live in California.

  23. #23
    Super Member maryb119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,727
    I am just north of Cedar Rapids. I lived in Iowa all my life except for three years at Fort Hood, Texas. My first husband was in the Army. I love Iowa. My kids all live nearby. Its a great place to be.

  24. #24
    Senior Member renee765's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    955
    I grew up in Council Bluffs, and went to college and had my babies in Cedar Falls, but migrated south in the late '80s when John Deere was laying off a lot of people.

  25. #25
    Senior Member adriansmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    356
    ME...ME...ME!! I live in Council Bluffs, relatives in Ankeny, Des Moines and friends in Newton!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.