How much should I charge?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
4EVERquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lakewood, Co. Native-New Mexican
Posts: 4,035
Default How much should I charge?

I just got asked to make 2 adult NFL fleece pajama bottoms and 3 children's NFL fleece pajama bottoms. How much should I charge to make? I know that I can get fleece on sale for no more than 40% off at Hancock Fabric. I will have to mail them. I'm lost at how much to charge. Help!
4EVERquilt is offline  
Old 10-03-2014, 09:01 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Durango CO
Posts: 1,196
Default

Don't do it cheap. "They" can probably purchase sleep pants for $10-15 & you should not go less just because the fabric is on sale. If they realize it will cost more than W-mart, ect for personal service they may change their minds.
ctrysass2012 is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 02:36 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
carolaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Behind my sewing machine
Posts: 7,144
Default

the prices are all over the place...here is the NFL prices http://www.fanatics.com/search/fleece%20pjs
carolaug is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Bneighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 464
Default

The cost of the fabric (not including any discounts), all the notions, including thread (just because you have it on hand does not mean you you have to give it away , you WILL have to restock). Your time purchasing, cutting, sewing and finishing the item...not below minimum wage per hour of said time. Plus, add in some amount for agrivation and driving time to purchase supplies...that is well earned money. Oh, and ask for a deposit for the fabric, why should you pay for it? They think the cost is too high? "We can buy them at Walmart for less". Explain to them that you will not be upset that they choose to not use your "expert and professional services to produce a high-quality garment, custom made to meet their expectations and your quality of standards". Suggest to them that you will be happy to take their measurements in order for them to purchase these quality garments for $10 to 15 at Walmart, but of course, those measurements will mean nothing to any associate working there. DO NOT GiVE YOURSELF AWAY!
Bneighbor is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 AM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,131
Default

I would just figure out how long each item will take to cut and sew. I would certainly pass on the saving of the fleece. No need to be greedy. Be careful to give them an estimate before you buy any supplies.
ManiacQuilter2 is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 10:41 AM
  #6  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 12,930
Default

I would give them an estimate of cost and also request an up-front payment that covers fabric costs. Remainder would be due at pick-up of finished garments. Just as you may not have a good idea of what to charge, they may have a very unrealistic idea of what this will cost!
Prism99 is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 03:38 PM
  #7  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
4EVERquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lakewood, Co. Native-New Mexican
Posts: 4,035
Default

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
the prices are all over the place...here is the NFL prices http://www.fanatics.com/search/fleece%20pjs
Thank you so much for the link, there is nothing less than 30.00 on here for one pair of pants. I was going to charge a bit less, but now I'm rethinking all of this.
4EVERquilt is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 03:40 PM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
4EVERquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lakewood, Co. Native-New Mexican
Posts: 4,035
Default

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
Don't do it cheap. "They" can probably purchase sleep pants for $10-15 & you should not go less just because the fabric is on sale. If they realize it will cost more than W-mart, ect for personal service they may change their minds.
Well, lo and behold they did change their mind. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
4EVERquilt is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 03:50 PM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
4EVERquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lakewood, Co. Native-New Mexican
Posts: 4,035
Default

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
The cost of the fabric (not including any discounts), all the notions, including thread (just because you have it on hand does not mean you you have to give it away , you WILL have to restock). Your time purchasing, cutting, sewing and finishing the item...not below minimum wage per hour of said time. Plus, add in some amount for agrivation and driving time to purchase supplies...that is well earned money. Oh, and ask for a deposit for the fabric, why should you pay for it? They think the cost is too high? "We can buy them at Walmart for less". Explain to them that you will not be upset that they choose to not use your "expert and professional services to produce a high-quality garment, custom made to meet their expectations and your quality of standards". Suggest to them that you will be happy to take their measurements in order for them to purchase these quality garments for $10 to 15 at Walmart, but of course, those measurements will mean nothing to any associate working there. DO NOT GiVE YOURSELF AWAY!
Thank you Bneighbor, I really appreciate your input. I will surely take your advice. I think you are on the right track with this. I believe they are already not wanting to pay what I'm worth. Thank you so much!!
4EVERquilt is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 03:51 PM
  #10  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
4EVERquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lakewood, Co. Native-New Mexican
Posts: 4,035
Default

Thank you my quilting ladies.
4EVERquilt is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hokieappmom
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
13
06-28-2013 03:43 AM
Charming
Main
10
04-01-2013 02:58 PM
QuiltingByCourtney
Main
23
11-12-2012 12:11 PM
Charming
Pictures
8
10-02-2011 02:59 PM
Gilla
Main
10
10-19-2010 10:57 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter