Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much should I charge?

How much should I charge?

I just got asked to make 2 adult NFL fleece pajama bottoms and 3 children's NFL fleece pajama bottoms. How much should I charge to make? I know that I can get fleece on sale for no more than 40% off at Hancock Fabric. I will have to mail them. I'm lost at how much to charge. Help!
    will quilt 4EVER

Don't do it cheap. "They" can probably purchase sleep pants for $10-15 & you should not go less just because the fabric is on sale. If they realize it will cost more than W-mart, ect for personal service they may change their minds.

Blog Entries
    the prices are all over the place...here is the NFL prices http://www.fanatics.com/search/fleece%20pjs

The cost of the fabric (not including any discounts), all the notions, including thread (just because you have it on hand does not mean you you have to give it away , you WILL have to restock). Your time purchasing, cutting, sewing and finishing the item...not below minimum wage per hour of said time. Plus, add in some amount for agrivation and driving time to purchase supplies...that is well earned money. Oh, and ask for a deposit for the fabric, why should you pay for it? They think the cost is too high? "We can buy them at Walmart for less". Explain to them that you will not be upset that they choose to not use your "expert and professional services to produce a high-quality garment, custom made to meet their expectations and your quality of standards". Suggest to them that you will be happy to take their measurements in order for them to purchase these quality garments for $10 to 15 at Walmart, but of course, those measurements will mean nothing to any associate working there. DO NOT GiVE YOURSELF AWAY!

I would just figure out how long each item will take to cut and sew. I would certainly pass on the saving of the fleece. No need to be greedy. Be careful to give them an estimate before you buy any supplies.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I would give them an estimate of cost and also request an up-front payment that covers fabric costs. Remainder would be due at pick-up of finished garments. Just as you may not have a good idea of what to charge, they may have a very unrealistic idea of what this will cost!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    the prices are all over the place...here is the NFL prices http://www.fanatics.com/search/fleece%20pjs
    Thank you so much for the link, there is nothing less than 30.00 on here for one pair of pants. I was going to charge a bit less, but now I'm rethinking all of this.
    will quilt 4EVER

Quote Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
    Don't do it cheap. "They" can probably purchase sleep pants for $10-15 & you should not go less just because the fabric is on sale. If they realize it will cost more than W-mart, ect for personal service they may change their minds.
    Well, lo and behold they did change their mind. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
    will quilt 4EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
    The cost of the fabric (not including any discounts), all the notions, including thread (just because you have it on hand does not mean you you have to give it away , you WILL have to restock). Your time purchasing, cutting, sewing and finishing the item...not below minimum wage per hour of said time. Plus, add in some amount for agrivation and driving time to purchase supplies...that is well earned money. Oh, and ask for a deposit for the fabric, why should you pay for it? They think the cost is too high? "We can buy them at Walmart for less". Explain to them that you will not be upset that they choose to not use your "expert and professional services to produce a high-quality garment, custom made to meet their expectations and your quality of standards". Suggest to them that you will be happy to take their measurements in order for them to purchase these quality garments for $10 to 15 at Walmart, but of course, those measurements will mean nothing to any associate working there. DO NOT GiVE YOURSELF AWAY!
    Thank you Bneighbor, I really appreciate your input. I will surely take your advice. I think you are on the right track with this. I believe they are already not wanting to pay what I'm worth. Thank you so much!!
    will quilt 4EVER

Thank you my quilting ladies.
    will quilt 4EVER

Blog Entries
    Charge as much as the client will pay. Basic economics!
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

[QUOTE=ManiacQuilter2;6915153]I would just figure out how long each item will take to cut and sew. I would certainly pass on the saving of the fleece. No need to be greedy. Be careful to give them an estimate before you buy any supplies.[/QUOTE

Greedy??? Hmmm....she is not going to be compensated for all of the work that will go into the project. Unless she is paying wholesale.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by 4EVERquilt View Post
    Well, lo and behold they did change their mind. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Sigh of relief?
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)