Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How old to spay/neuter kittens?

Here we sterilise cats at 6 months. Apparently there are some health risks if it is done too early. Soon the cat laws here are to be changed. Unless you are a registered breeder all cats must be sterilised, microchipped and wearing an ID collar, licensing (we do that with dogs) is also on the cards. Not a bad idea as we all know how irresponsible a lot of people are. Good luck with your little ferals....hope you can get them sorted at a discount price.

Our humane society used to do $15/$30 spay and neuter for dogs and I think cats were about the same, I know they still do it, but the funds aren't as plentiful as they once were, so once they are out of funds that's it for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I'd love to take more in, but O'Malley was diagnosed with FIV - he was already in the house with Kiki when we found out so we figured that we wouldn't worry about it with her, but I'd be afraid to bring anyone else in. So far he's been pretty healthy though in spite of it.

I do know of a vet that gives quantity discounts, but you need 3 of them. I'll have to check with the vet we're currently seeing. I think I had called around with the last slew of kittens (had 3 and a cat at one time) and the only break was the 3 at a time one. I should check with the humane society - thanks for mentioning it.
    well... 2 inside + 2 newbies outside is 4...

Lyn
    I volunteer for a feline rescue. We usually spay and neuter at 2 lbs. or around 8-10 weeks. If you wait until they are much older say 4-6 months you run the risk of the females going through a heat and getting pregnant. We have a lot of kittens having kittens and the males starting to mark their territory. Check with your local rescues for a nice discount and yes we have a qualified vet doing the spays and neuters.

All my rescues are neutered early early early. I have 18, 12 and 10 year old boys. I have never had any health issues and have NEVER had any boys spraying (over a 30 year time span.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    Oh we have spent oodles on strays getting them spayed... Dang idiots that won't take care of their pets and then dump the poor babies... Argh, better not get started on this
    I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN WE LIVE UP A HOLLER AND PEOPLE DUMP ANIMALS OFF AT THE END OF IT BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SEE ANY HOUSES UP THE HOLLER.I STILL HAVE A MUTT NAMES HARLEY FOUND HIM GOING OUT MORNING IN FEB 2002LOOK LIKE HE WAS ONLY ABOUT 5 OR 6 WEEKS OLD I THOUGHT I HAD HIT HIM WITH MY CAN,BUT THANKFULLY I DID NOT.

They have to be at least 2 pounds.

Thanks - I'll have to try and weigh them. And I'll call around this next week. (The inside ones have been fixed long ago, and the two grown outside ones are still too wild - I suspect Scruff is a male and the deaf kitty to possibly be a female - and because of how large/fat/mature she is I wouldn't be surprised if she had been fixed by someone already - so they couldn't help with the discount - and I know we could set a trap, but we've caught far too many skunks (accidentally) to make that appealing! lol!)

Earlier might be better for the male at least - I think his testosterone is running high as he's already been in a fight.

Duh! See what happens when I stay up late... I just realized you meant 3 procedures at a time -- not 3 pets :roll:
    I'd call every vet within a reasonable distance. I found a vet to do the dew claws a litter of puppies for me for $55 total -- the next cheapest wanted $33/pup (x 10 pups :shock: ) . I loved that vet! he loved animals, not the owners money, kwim

Quote Originally Posted by shnnn
    Duh! See what happens when I stay up late... I just realized you meant 3 procedures at a time -- not 3 pets :roll:
    I'd call every vet within a reasonable distance. I found a vet to do the dew claws a litter of puppies for me for $55 total -- the next cheapest wanted $33/pup (x 10 pups :shock: ) . I loved that vet! he loved animals, not the owners money, kwim
    I think he does it assembly line style! lol! The only problem with that place though is my last experience with them was a feral with a large wound who bit and scratched me... we wound up having to have her put down and checked for rabies - (she would've been ok - so that place brings back sad/guilt feelings. She was the most beautiful long hair tabby... I was trying to put her in a crate to take her for care and she totally freaked on me) - the more animals you have, the more sad experiences you have with different vets, the more difficult it can be to go there.
    But wow - what a price difference!

Don't feel guilty about the last experience there. We just do the best we can with the knowledge we have at the time.

Blog Entries
    I foster kittens each spring/summer. They will spay or neuter them when they weigh two pounds. That's around 8 - 10 weeks old. I feel it's a little early, but would go with what the vet recommends. Love those little critters. Just gave back 4 kittens and a mama to have their surgery and be adopted.

LindaKayCat

Spaying/neutering at 8-10weeks is too early!!!there is a vet near here that takes care of Humane Soc. And SOS pets, that fixes them really young because they heal quicker. My vet and others that I talked to said the kittens urinary tracts need to mature enough or they will have kidney problems and UTIs when they are bigger. A study was done with lions and the males that were fixed too soon never developed a mane because of the lack of hormones. IMHO before 3-4months is too early. Talk to a vet you trust and go by their recommendation.

Thanks sewmom. Maybe if I take a pic of them I can take that to the vet and see if they can roughly judge where we might be with age. We need to pick up more ringers for Kiki anyway so we'll be going there....

Blog Entries
    Call your vet. One thing that I recently learned from my sister who got a kitten. Dogs only go in heat a couple times each year; as puppies they may not go for the first year at all. Kittens start around 6 to 8 weeks and keep on every so many weeks; it drove my sister crazy; her kitten would only want attention when she was in heat so it was easy to tell when she was in which seemed like most of the time.

I have an appointment set for Aug 8 for our kitten. The vet told us she had to be at least 5 pounds, which at a pound a month, 5 months old. Someone just dropped her off at about 5 weeks, and she's been my sidekick ever since. She's a keeper.

Lyn
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmom
    Spaying/neutering at 8-10weeks is too early!!!there is a vet near here that takes care of Humane Soc. And SOS pets, that fixes them really young because they heal quicker. My vet and others that I talked to said the kittens urinary tracts need to mature enough or they will have kidney problems and UTIs when they are bigger. A study was done with lions and the males that were fixed too soon never developed a mane because of the lack of hormones. IMHO before 3-4months is too early. Talk to a vet you trust and go by their recommendation.
    I'm not arguing with you just stating what I have seen with our rescues. Never had that problem and I have 9 cats and been foster at one time or another to at least 45. I agree talk to a vet but if you wait until 4 mos you take your chances of the cat becoming pregnant or a male's hormones starting up. Like I said we have kittens having kittens.

I had mine done at 6 months. 6-8 weeks they are weaned.
    Check your newspaper for a clinic or vet that does them free or at a reduced cost. In MS once or twice a year the students at MS State do neutering as part of their training.
    Maybe yours does too.

Our vet says 6 months at the earliest. We had our male cat done at about 7 months. Our female dog was spayed at 6 months. She is a very hyper dog and we were told that she should settle down afterward. Didn't happen!!

what I read was about what is called "pediatric spaying" (2 months). Basically they were saying, adoption agencies were letting the kittens go at two months with a certificate for a free spay at 4 months, but a certain number would either run off or not be brought in for the procedure, thus increasing the number of unwanted kittens again.
    By doing it at 2 months, the kittens were spayed BEFORE going to their forever homes and the agency did not have to worry about them making more kittens.
    This is the reason for doing it early.

I found this great FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...17234231669766

lists free spay/neuter clinics all over the US. You don't have to sign in to facebook to see it. Lots in Wisconsin but I put up the main page so others could find their state.

Here is a link for info, and a paragraph. http://www.hdw-inc.com/spayneuter.htm
    Most frequently, it is recommended that female kittens be spayed at six months of age, or preferably before their first heat. The surgery, called "ovariohysterectomy", involves anesthetizing the animal, and the veterinarian makes an incision through which the cat's ovaries and uterus are removed. The surgical incision is then closed by either non-absorbable stitches (which must then be removed in approximately 7 to 10 days); or by sub-cuticular stitches, or by sutures that are placed below the skin and that gradually dissolve on their own in the body. There is another procedure that can be performed on female cats, and that is called a "tubal ligation", which is the surgical procedure which makes the female sterile, but does not prevent her from coming into heat and attracting males. Obviously, tubal ligation is not very popular for that very reason!!

by at least 4 months before they go into their heat cycle or start territorial marking for boys

Blog Entries
    Anytime before the 1st cycle which
    comes about 6 months of age.
    In the past worked for a vet.
    J J

In Georgia there is a special program thru the state that our local Humane Society administers. It is a reduced price spay/neuter program. My dog was neutered for $65.

Gee I always thought that you waited at least until they were about 4 months old, but since they are in the wild, the sooner the better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast