Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How is your Christmas Spirit this year? >

How is your Christmas Spirit this year?

How is your Christmas Spirit this year?

Old 12-24-2011, 05:25 AM

Default How is your Christmas Spirit this year?

Just curious - how does your Christmas this year compare to previous years? Mine has turned into "bah-humbug" and just don't know what is causing it. Am I alone in this? Is it because there are no "little ones" in the home, or the economy, or just because we have "been there, done that"? Or after a certain age the spark just fades out? Please respond and let us know if it is a common affliction or just normal.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:32 AM

No my dear, you are not alone. Sadly, I felt that way for many years. PM me, if you want to talk.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:54 AM

No, you're not the only 'grinch' out here. In my case, I think it's a combination of things--every year I'm affected by SAD (this year seems worse than usual), I miss my mom (she died in Dec., her birthday was in Dec., my birthday is Dec. & I hate the thought of another year being alone) and the economy. I'm better than I was a couple of weeks ago, so I guess I'm coming out of it.

On the upside, my kids and their families, my sister-in-law and her family will be here for dinner tonight. And I'm better organized than I usually am.

I hope you have a good Christmas in spite of your feelings and a happy, healthy new year.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:33 AM

I'm trying very hard to battle a bout of SAD. If our weather here would just clear and if we would have a White Christmas in the South, it might perk me up! Gotta make myself get up and get dressed to go to my son's for lunch. All 6 of my grandchildren will be there...2 of whom I don't get to see very often!

Think positive thoughts...think positive thoughts...think positive thoughts...
Old 12-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

It's hard to stay in the Christmas mood with all the miserable people around out there but I keep trying! Sending you a (((BIG HUG))) full of Christmas cheer!
Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 AM

My Christmas spirit is pretty good this year. It is our second Christmas without my mom, but we have a new baby to share the holiday with. I think having little ones underfoot makes it easier, you can vicariously enjoy through their eyes. Sure the economy sucks and we did not have any money for gifts for my husband and I, but we decided on some nice ribeye steaks for Christmas dinner and a good bottle of wine. It is not as fancy as years past, but we have not lost sight of the fact that we do have enough to provide for our kids and will enjoy a tasty meal so we consider ourselves very lucky. We have just us and our two kids (no family nearby) and we are just focusing on celebrating in little ways. I do believe it is the little celebrations that help bring festive cheer to a home.

To those who are not feeling the spirit, I send you lots of hugs and love. I am a big believer in celebrating in meaningful ways - even if that means doing something "unconventional" to get your Christmas spirit on. One of the best Christmases I ever celebrated involved a fancy hotel room, a bubble bath, and me and my writing journal. No presents, people or anything. It was just what I needed at the time.

Wishing you all the best!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:02 PM

I'm not really down in the dumps, but not on a Holiday High either it just seams like another busy day. My Mom's health isn't the best, No Grands here yet(will be here later this afternoon), NO SNOW!!!! It just isn't Christmas without snow!! All my baking is done, candie made, all food prep is done for tonight and tomarrow, don't even want to have a turkey this year, we are having a nice pork loin roast tomarrow, Tonight is our tradional finger food night, cold shrimp, smoked turkey, summer sausage, smoked sausage, smoked oysters, all kinds of cheese (6 diffrent kinds) 3 diffrent cheese balls, crackers, home made rolls and breads (rye, carraway, black, and reg), pickels (carrets, beets, aspergass, cucumber, eggs, Raw veggies with several dips for them food goes out on Ice at about 3 and anyone that shows up helps them selves untill its all gone or bed time. Maybe I'll feal more in the moode when people start tracking mud in my house. OH YA, NO SNOW! That means no mud! D-m there goes my Christmas no mud tracked onto clean wood floors! LOL Isn't it odd what some people look for at Christmas time? LOL Well I hope we all cheer up and injoy this special time of year!Merry Christmas and to all a Good Night!!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:16 PM

I'm not really down in the dumps, not really high as a kite either.ha. I think when we get older we don't want to work so hard. I know I don't. But Merry Christmas to everyone on the board and hugs and best wishes to you all.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:34 PM

I think with all of the media attention on the "christmas rush", the over-shopping and consuming and the commercials with the perfect Christmas gift (a Lexus? ) the perfect table, perfect decorations, etc etc we get caught up in the "hallmark" Christmas that TV portrays. THAT all gets me down some because I know that it is somewhat overstated. I miss our parents who are gone, the neice and nephew who are no longer little ones and doing their own thing, "family" get togethers of years past. We don't have children and I am ok with that part but Christmas IS different as we get older.

I have purposely kept my Christmas low key and concentrate on the true focus. I will attend Christmas Eve mass tonight and likely go to church again in the morning. Oh, and did I mention that I hope to sew all day Christmas day, make a nice meal for us and maybe even bake some cookies! The sun is supposed to be shining and the fur babies and I will take a brisk walk.

We will spend time with my husbands' side on Monday and there will be kids there,etc. That will be fun and I won't have a house to clean up after.

Take a moment to reflect on the good times in the past and cherish what you have today. Have a blessed Christmas everyone.

Sandy
Old 12-24-2011, 01:44 PM

I broke my wrist in May, we listed our house in June, moved (downsized) in August and then DD and her DH moved (also downsizing) one week later. I'm so weary from our move and hers and helping her with their new (June, 2011) bundle of joy that I haven't even put up a tree, just a couple of little arrangements and some candles. And, ya know what? It's liberating to not to go all-out. We've already got together with the two other kids and those GKs and had a lovely mellow time together with nice, low-key gifts exchanged (except for the 2 youngest!) and all that's left for Christmas day is church in the a.m. and then dinner with this DD at their new, smaller, decluttered, more affordable house. Lovely, loving, mellow, no hype. Ahhhh ...

There's so much hype, so much "love, joy, gifts, excitement, eat, eat, eat, visit, visit, visit" that anything less seems like we've been deprived of something. I'm enjoying this mellow time so much that I may just want to have this type of easier "I care about you, let's get together but not go overboard" type of Christmas every year.

I hope that you have a blessed Christmas day and that the new year brings you good health, joy and contentment!