Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hst square tri banners hanging 0n fences

Question Hst square tri banners hanging 0n fences

I have been seeing these lately and mostly on cemetery fences. Does any one have any information about what the meaning of making them.

I wonder if they are prayer flags. Somewhere in my wondering around the internet I ran across a blog that described these. Maybe you can Google prayer flags and see if that might be it. I believe the idea is to write thoughts and prayers on the fabric and then hang them up so as the fabric disintegrates the message goes off into the universe.

Blog Entries

That may be the intentions here but they look like someone is hanging quilt blocks on a fence. To each his own. Thanks for answering.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    One of my Guild member's husband passed away and we made prayer flags for her. She hung them outside at her cottage and as the wind blows they do fray and threads go off in the wind. They were not finished on the edges. I don't know if that's what the HST referred to are or not.

Have never seen that. My DH was cremated, and I'm keeping his ashes til I die, then I want my ashes put in with his.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Power Poster
    I have seen pictures of Buddhist temples where they tie prayer clothes in the wind. I have also seen the bunting triangle flags that people made to commemorate the deaths in a Canadian train wreck that leveled a town center. Decorataing a grave is not a new idea as many cultures do so. Using bunting is a newer trend.