Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Humane treatment for deterring cats in my landscaping?

I have a problem with armadillos have been using some stuff calle "Repels all" so far it seems to work.

Blog Entries
    Just to comment on the leash aspect. Most cats do not like harnesses much less leashes. They seem to be more independent then dogs (let's not get into a dog vs cats thing, I love them both but love kitties more!). The first time we tried to leash Beau our beloved and vastly intelligent tuxedo cat, he ran into the middle of a patch of poison ivy and lay down. We referred to this as taking him for a drag. He did become used to a leash and we did get him used to it. He and DH used to take a stroll around the campground loop in the very early am before folks got going. He would walk without the leash, btw.

Right now we need to either find the figure 8 harness we've used for our last 2 cats or buy a new one for our newly rescued dumpee, Sugar Ray (my avatar photo). He is thought to be about 3 or 4 years old and we need to throw him into the van and see how well he'll travel. We have eventually been successful in leashing all our cats who've traveled with us, but Ollie always used to look at the leash trailing behind him as if it were something following him. We always used to be very close by so it seemed better to let them walk freely, tieing a cat up usually resulted in Mr. Houdini backing up to till the leash was tight, wiggling 2 times and running free. At least Beau could do it.

Blog Entries
    I am sure there are sprays with citrus in them you could use as well if you don't want citrus peels "hanging around"

Blog Entries
    Never heard of a leash on a cat. Are you sure these cats are not just strays or feral cats that someone puts out food for? Only anwser to to have them spayed ad neutered to slow down the population. Lots of unwanted cats out there.

Blog Entries
    Get a high powered squirt gun- and have fun! Cats hate water, and especially when it comes at them with force.. it'll give them diffrent ideas real soon.

My dad loved to watch his birds, butloved the cats too - so I got one and I set on the swing outside waiting for the cats to bother the bird feeders; it took about two months to train all the cats, not all was there at once, but it finally got the cats to stay at bay - or go elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    This is the nice little kitty my husband was feeding...LOL
    http://curiouslylocal.com/2010/02/589/
    :shock: Wow! Big kitty! lol!

Blog Entries
    thaty's why all my kitties i've ever had are indoors only, i love everything outside, and don't want them to harm it. good luck

Cayenne pepper works. It keeps them out of my trash anyway.

I have a natural deterant - coyotes. I have lost two dear cats to them. We were sitting on our front porch and watched a coyote with a cat in it's mouth walk across our front yard. My quilting buddy is not strictly an indoor cat.

Blog Entries
    We also have a huge problem with coyotes...and they are not afriad of me...which is quite scary!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I have a natural deterant - coyotes. I have lost two dear cats to them. We were sitting on our front porch and watched a coyote with a cat in it's mouth walk across our front yard. My quilting buddy is not strictly an indoor cat.

I think I heard that tobacco dust would work .

We have trouble with a cat from down the street...
    We have a nice little koi pond w/ waterfall in the yard and the birds like to bathe and drink the water. The neighbors cat was catching our birds and leaving the remains.
    Cat didn't care that Tink would come out...cat was bigger.
    We found one of the boys old super soaker water gun...it goes at least 30 ft....the face on that cat was priceless! It only took a couple of times getting blasted for the cat to go elsewhere.
    (Works on Possoms, too)

I agree completely with you and ditto everything you have said concerning stray cats in your yard. I have the very same problem. We don't own a cat but cats are in our yard every day. It's especially obvious in the winter when their tracks show up in the snow - across our front porch and around to the back (the same path every day) where my bird feeders and fish pond are. They stalk the birds, eat the fish, and use anywhere they please for an outhouse. I have 9 grandchildren and I don't want them playing in sand that has been used as a cat toilet. There was a young man who grew up across the street from us. In playing in his yard, he contracted a disease from feline droppings called "histoplasmosis" (I think that is correct) which can eventually cause him to go blind. I believe cats should be licensed like dogs and they should be kept inside. I don't know if it is true but cats have been said to be one of the major reasons for the decline of song birds. I will try the citrus to see if that helps.

I heard the same thing about orange/lemon peels that crafty linda wrote about. I need to remember to pass that along to a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    There was a Cat that looked really hungry....We felt bad thinking that it would starve. my husband would go out and feed it. It would never came near him...the cat use to come onto the stairs to the screened in porch. We just found out that it was not a Cat....it was a Bob CAT!!! He was eying my kitties on the porch...
    Oh my goodness!!!

I have 10 cats , all fixed and indoors only.But I have other peoples cats in my yard every day and night

Blog Entries
    One word: MOTHBALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they make motion activated sprayers and also have a motion activated box with a barking dog sound.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanDal
    Cayenne pepper works. It keeps them out of my trash anyway.
    Please don't use Cayenne pepper. It seriously harms the cat's eyes, nasal passages and lungs.

Mothballs will keep them at a distance and citrus as a second choice, but the citrus won't last near as long.

Blog Entries
    I certainly won't use the cayenne pepper if it will harm the cats. I can't use the mothballs because they will harm my breathing. I'd like to try the citrus, but I sure don't want the opossums and armadillos to come here. The water guns sound ok, but you have to be outside to catch the cats in the act. I suppose we may have to resort to the cages since I called the animal control for information on what to do about the cats and that is what they said the use. Maybe if I put out a sign saying we are using them, the neighbors will be forewarned and keep their cats home. Of course the cats may be coming here from other streets in the subdivision and the owners won't see the sign. Oh well. Thanks again for your kind help. :) A big thank you to those of you who are responsible cat owners and respect the rights of others. :)

They also don't like the smell of mothballs - they work in grass to deter dogs and in the flower beds to deter cats. They do melt away, especially if you get lots of rain, so you do have to replace them occasionally.

Citronella spray generally works and is not harmful to the cat.

Blog Entries
    Get an electric fence with some chicken wire and drape it over the edge. When the cats jump up on it to get over the fence they will get a poke. They will only do it once. They sell these sort of things in the pet store to train cats and dogs from getting where they are not supposed to go.

Don't laugh. You can buy Fox, or another predators urine and spray it around the perimeter of your yard which might keep them out. Once this urine is on the ground you as a human won't be able to smell it but the cats will. Possibly these are ferrule cats you are seeing. I have many in my area.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    Kitties are hard to keep out of the garden! I layered my garden beds with the flowers with chicken wire the plants have grown through and no problem. I have also used a lot of rocks instead of mulch, they will stay out of it also. The sidewalks is a really tough one. And I have had to resort to fencing in the veggies, we have a dog who loves sugar snap peas and carrots. So I have raised beds that I individually fenced in with a access panel :) I believe the motion sprayer works in the night also, it uses a laser type of system. I seen one at Lowes the other day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast