Humming Bird Cake

Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
Martha's recipe sounds too junky to me. It's overdone with extra calories. Here is the Southern one that I did.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/ban...r/bl90321d.htm

I think this is the orginal recipe. I only used one cup of brown sugar and I didn't use the frosting (typo in my previous posting). the frosting is a killer. The cake taste wonderful without the frosting...
That sounds almost like my recipe for carrot cake, substitute carrots for the bananas and it is almost the same. I put shredded coconut and raisons in my carrot cake too.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 AM

No thanks...if I got started I would gain 5# before I even got through baking it! It's been years since I ate any ! :D
Old 09-20-2010, 02:30 PM

I probably won't try it. I would feel so bad scalding the little birds so I could pull their feathers out - and they're so tiny, it would take a lot of hummingbirds to make a cake!!!! ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
Old 09-20-2010, 02:38 PM

When my daughter was in her final year of 4H, she made a HBC as her Food's project. She received Champion for her her efforts. They are good!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:14 PM

I do watch what I eat. This cake is once in a while. I will be good now for the longest time....I do fall off the wagon but get right back on after the fix hahahahah
Old 09-20-2010, 06:21 PM

I made some really good banana bread on Friday. Its got 3 ripe bananas,whole wheat flour,canola oil,"Ideal" sweetener,
sunflower seeds,craisins and pumpkin seeds. Really came out nice and moist.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I made some really good banana bread on Friday. Its got 3 ripe bananas,whole wheat flour,canola oil,"Ideal" sweetener,
sunflower seeds,craisins and pumpkin seeds. Really came out nice and moist.
I have a loaf in my freezer, fat free...I use applesauce in place of the oil.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Some oil is really good for you. I make all my own food so I am in control of everything. I use brown sugar instead of white, and cut down on the amount anyway, cook only with cold pressed, virgin olive oil and have peanut and canola oil for hubby's popcorn or a cake.

I used no other oils. I use real butter when I have to. I never use sugar or fat substitudes. Margarine is not good for anyone.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
Some oil is really good for you. I make all my own food so I am in control of everything. I use brown sugar instead of white, and cut down on the amount anyway, cook only with cold pressed, virgin olive oil and have peanut and canola oil for hubby's popcorn or a cake.

I used no other oils. I use real butter when I have to. I never use sugar or fat substitudes. Margarine is not good for anyone.
We haven't cut out all fat completely. I have just cut it drastically. With a 2000 calorie day diet your fat intake should be around 65 grams or roughly 20 to 35 %.
My husband and I do about 1600 to 2000 calories a day, and only about 25 to 28 % total fat content.
I cook with olive oil, but use it sparingly. We don't use canola oil because it interferes with his blood thinners. Butter is a treat for us usually. And cheese is a no no, we drink 1 % milk.