Hurricane Ian

Old 09-27-2022, 09:31 AM

Default Hurricane Ian

It’s less than 24 hours to impact. Current model is to make land around Tampa (which is near ocean level). Expected much damage from storm surge. Governor Di Santos has been giving good non-sensational reports. S-W Florida will be the center. Then it might go cross state.

Our area is high. So far very little to do.

Please pray.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
It’s less than 24 hours to impact. Current model is to make land around Tampa (which is near ocean level). Expected much damage from storm surge. Governor Di Santos has been giving good non-sensational reports. S-W Florida will be the center. Then it might go cross state.

Our area is high. So far very little to do.

Please pray.
Prayers are already going up. Please don't wait Get out as soon as they asy "GE" Be ready to go. I've been in one in the middle of the Phoenix desert--1995. Thankfully we were on the "good end" of the storm: was a Class 3.

Last edited by MaryKa; 09-27-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Prayers for all of you !
Old 09-27-2022, 11:24 AM

Stay safe!

Rob
Old 09-27-2022, 02:08 PM

I'm so glad DiSantos isn't sensationalizing it. I remember a few years ago when we had a non-hurricane here that the media had predicted was going to be a huge disaster. One restaurant in Galveston had a sign outside afterward that said "Hurricane - Cat 1, Media - Cat 5" It was sadly true.

Everyone in the path of Ian take care and stay safe!
Old 09-27-2022, 02:42 PM

The storm may be bad but the people frantic afterwards are what will really be the problem. Be sure to fill your bathtubs with water so you have plenty to wash and flush with if the water system fails for a while. Keep an axe in the attic if you do have to head up into your house to stay out of floodwaters. Prayers-a-plenty, from my part of the world to yours f'sure. I'm watching this one as the Gulf is way too hot to keep this storm calmer. Weather Underground discussions indicate there is a wind shear from the southwest so perhaps the predicted Cat 4 status can be averted? Cat 3 is bad enough!

BTW, it is a joy to hear that your governor isn't being his normal sensationalizing self during this emergency. I wish he was like that all the time. I'm tired of boisterous, attention-seeking politicians of all varieties.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:28 PM

Stay Safe, our dear friend and your family.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like the storm surge is going to be a problem. I hope everyone stays safe!
Old 09-27-2022, 06:39 PM

We are on the East Coast across from the expected landfall. DH and I closed our shutters this morning. We review our plan and start preparations in June to avoid the last minute panic. Our trucks are filled and we can use my truck if we lose power.

The outer bands are starting to come in this evening.

Prayers for our neighbors and our safety workers.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

Stay safe, Pet. We are praying.