Hurricane watch

Old 08-26-2011, 07:45 AM

With the threat of Hurricane Irene approaching I was wondering what you miss most when the power is out. What I miss the most is my microwave. The stove still works, I have propane but the fridge will be out. So need to get everything cooked as it will last longer when it is no longer frozen, and the lights will be out, need to find candle holders. But the microwave now that is used all the time in our house. Oh yes and the Computer and TV. As long as it is light out I can hand sew. Need to make sure project is ready for that phase. Also need to get some big buckets of water ready for flushing too.
The longest we have been without power from a storm is a week. I would never have made it in frontier times LOL.
JeanneZ
Old 08-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

I miss my AC the most. Last hurricane we were without electricity for 7 LONG days. I had a migraine every day for 7 days.......it was Sept. in Louisiana and it was HOT.....WHen it came back on I cried. Bought a generator that will run the entire house if need be after that cause I do not intend to be stuck like that again.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by JeanneZ
With the threat of Hurricane Irene approaching I was wondering what you miss most when the power is out. What I miss the most is my microwave. The stove still works, I have propane but the fridge will be out. So need to get everything cooked as it will last longer when it is no longer frozen, and the lights will be out, need to find candle holders. But the microwave now that is used all the time in our house. Oh yes and the Computer and TV. As long as it is light out I can hand sew. Need to make sure project is ready for that phase. Also need to get some big buckets of water ready for flushing too.
The longest we have been without power from a storm is a week. I would never have made it in frontier times LOL.
JeanneZ
About 6 years ago we went without power for 6 weeks... missed air conditioning and hot water most (thank goodness we liked pb & jelly) ... had to put dogs (2 german shepherds) in car and sit periodically as it was hot for them. Also was not fun taking a cold shower. Power linemen came from all over the south to help turn power on... when they came to our street we (my family and all the neighbors) greeted them with coffee, donuts, sandwiches... anything their hearts desired... they were our heroes!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 AM

It's been a while since I have been through a hurricane, I have been through many...I would say I probably miss taking a warm shower and A/C. We sure get spoiled don't we?
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Cyn

I miss air condition or even just my celing fans!!!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 AM

AC for sure and just walking into room and flipping light switch. That is just what we do dozens of times a day. We have gasoline generators to run all appliances but usually after a couple of days we are off to hotel or out of town.. DH is not the camping type and likes modern conveniences...lol it is his only shortcoming.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 AM

Coffee in the morning.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Coffee in the morning.
Yup. And to that end, I have been pouring the last of the coffee into empty soda bottles, adding creamer and sugar, and sticking them in the freezer!!!!!
Timmy will not mind the morning with no power because he doesn't do coffee....but, me?? Coffee.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM

i just whent throu about 4 weeks off no power in my kitchen accept for thr fridge (we were renovating) so i gess it wouldent be much differentexept i wouldent be able to sew. gess it would be like camping. im thankfull im far away from the huricane although we had tornado warnings night befor last. the weather is realy weard this year
Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Coffee in the morning.
Yup. And to that end, I have been pouring the last of the coffee into empty soda bottles, adding creamer and sugar, and sticking them in the freezer!!!!!
Timmy will not mind the morning with no power because he doesn't do coffee....but, me?? Coffee.
Camp perculator-- as long as you still have a stove that will work! me with no coffee, and no a/c!!! that would be a very dangerous situation! Well, even the a/c is optional...