Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I am a collector and I collect....

I love all your collections! I collect boxes and kaleidoscopes. also white pottery. also old glass bottles. too much to keep clean! :lol: :lol: My DH hunts Indian artifacts , and has a large collection of arrowheads. I also collect buttons. all kinds. I love old things and yours are beautiful .

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonomine
    You probably won't believe this, but I collect...

My son and his sons would love your house!! We used to watch a lot of ninja movies when my sons were preteens and I and my two sons got into nintendo. I am a nintendo freak! I love games. Well my son Nathan has shared his love of games and knives and hunting etc with his kids and the older two are nuts over samarai swords and such. His oldest learned to do air painting and did some terrific pictures of one of the Japanese cartoon characters (that are about sword fighting ) wielding a fantastic sword.

Dragons and swords are still something they like alot and my son is 32 and his oldest Cody is 20(adopted stepson) and tyler is 16 and Jake 10. Jake especially is into a cartoon called Avatar which is all about air bending and fire bending and swords and such. And I remember wathing one with him the other day where two dragons battled. Very impressive picture!
    Jake would love to see pictures of Dragons and swords!! Hint hint!

dragons!!!

I also have several medieval swords on my bedroom wall. I think I counted 23 dragons just in my bedroom. lol

I also collect dust bunnies, but that's another story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Love your place Rhonda!!! I could just come over and browse :D I don't have room to collect much of anything right now. All my stuff is packed away "until we build"- been saying that for 9 yrs. now. :(

And you need to join us in the chicken quilt making....it would go perfectly with your colleciton!!!

Oh...and I also love the beautiful boxers !!!!!
    Pat you just jump in your car and come anytime!!! My mom used to be an antique dealer in this building we live in and I have the old sign she used. I had it up on the wall at one time. It is old barn boards connected with log chains. This building started out as my Dad's automotive shop!
    One side says Mills Auto Shop and Sales and the other side says Mills Antique Shop

So I collect old things because that is what I grew up around. I use to haunt a friend's antique shop and learned a lot from her and my mom and just from going antiquing.

When you can't afford alot the primitive look is real easy to do!! I don't always have more than $10 or so but you can pick up spice tins for a couple of dollars and I like a lot of stuff that isn't expensive. It adds up over time! I do fight for space but I still won't give it up!! My mom and my husband are just as bad!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I love all your collections! I collect boxes and kaleidoscopes. also white pottery. also old glass bottles. too much to keep clean! :lol: :lol: My DH hunts Indian artifacts , and has a large collection of arrowheads. I also collect buttons. all kinds. I love old things and yours are beautiful .

Ninnie
    I have a couple of kaleidoscopes but they're not too old. One might be 1950s I also collect all kids of glass bottles I like odd size canning jars and unique ones with company names on them that aren't sold anymore.

My dad grew up along a crick(crick is an offshoot of a creek- my grandpa lectured us on this!) and it was rich in arrowheads here in Southeast Iowa

There were Kiowas and Apache in this area in the 1800s My dad and his brothers and his dad(my grandpa) collected buckets and buckets of them. I have a few but most of them are in my uncles hands. Grandpa had them mounted and framed and he had a real nice tomahawk. THe buckets of tomahawks heads and arrowheads used to sit by the back door in the basement at my grandpas house. Whenever they plowed they would find things.

Rhonda, that is so cool! Hubby's most prizes are in a large case that sits on the coffee table in our living room. the case is way larger than the table. Also every time I open any drawer in the house, there lays a chip or piece of pottery, or just what He tells our grandsons is a leaver.(leave it there boys. it's just a rock). I have learned to live with them. Some are over 10,000 years old! You can't go for a walk with him, he's is always looking down and stopping to kick a rock. Of course I encourage him, since he is so understanding of my quilting all over the place1 :lol: :lol: It is Cherokee here. and before that I don't know for sure.

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    Rhonda, that is so cool! Hubby's most prizes are in a large case that sits on the coffee table in our living room. the case is way larger than the table. Also every time I open any drawer in the house, there lays a chip or piece of pottery, or just what He tells our grandsons is a leaver.(leave it there boys. it's just a rock). I have learned to live with them. Some are over 10,000 years old! You can't go for a walk with him, he's is always looking down and stopping to kick a rock. Of course I encourage him, since he is so understanding of my quilting all over the place1 :lol: :lol: It is Cherokee here. and before that I don't know for sure.

Ninnie
    My husband and I also have indian blood in our backgrounds. My husband's uncle had a large patch of skin on his back that was "red".
    According to family lore my great great grandma was kidnapped out of a covered wagon going across kansas and had a son that was half indian.
    There was a diary at one time.
    When my son was in grade school he found a book on an Indian Chief Quanah Parker comanche chief who with his tribe were living at Keokuk Iowa (60 miles south of us) and there was a big war. There was a chapter about his family and there was a statement that showed we were related to him. I can't find that book anymore but I would love to have it.

I'm 1/8 Cherokee. My grandfather could remember his mother leaving every spring to walk and visit her tribe. The rest of me is English and Scottish, but proud of that little original American blood. Just told DH about all the arrowheads there and he is ready to visit Iowa! :lol: May get him to take a road trip to California yet, as long as we come through Iowa! Do you know the name of the book? Maybe on Amazon. It would be worth looking into. That's some powerful blood that you are related to. Hope you can find It!

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    There are a couple of little museums close to us that have displays of arrowheads. I don't have more than two or three I think -I don't know if my mom has my dad's or not -probably so.
    The little museum in Wapello has a big map and other artifacts that show the history of the Indians in our local areas. There is a lot of Indian memorabilia in this area. As far as buying any I'd have to do some research tho my son may know of some. Everyone who was born and raised here can tell you stories of their heritage here. My dad's family are Quaker and came west from the east coast. My aunt has tracked our line to four ancesters who came over on the mayflower. There are birth and death records to show for it.

We also live abour three blocks from a house(now a museum) that is an underground railroad and this area was very instramental in that railroad.

My mom and I have been working on geneology some over the last few years. It is fun In the Lewellan House(Museum above) I saw a large poster that listed all the quakers that were married before the House of Quakers in Oskaloosa and my great great grandparents were married on the same day as our wedding date (Jan 19)only they were married in 1810. What fun!!

We have what is called The Indian Mounds. which is a state park with the original dirt mounds that they held their ceremonies in. If we take a road trip, I will have to map out places like that all along for DH. As long as I can hit all the quit and fabric shops! We may never get to California! :lol: Hope to be able to do it next spring, saving my money for fabric. Still think you need to try to run down that book!

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    We have what is called The Indian Mounds. which is a state park with the original dirt mounds that they held their ceremonies in. If we take a road trip, I will have to map out places like that all along for DH. As long as I can hit all the quit and fabric shops! We may never get to California! :lol: Hope to be able to do it next spring, saving my money for fabric. Still think you need to try to run down that book!

Ninnie
    When I was a teenager my parents and I went to the Green ? Indian mounds in northern Iowa. But they closed it to the public because it was too detrimental to the remains and there was a lot of anger that the remains weren't being honored.

Blog Entries
    i love that stove and all your chicken and rootsers ,wonderful collection Rhonda :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nellie
    i love that stove and all your chicken and rootsers ,wonderful collection Rhonda :mrgreen:
    Thank you Nellie! :D It's so much fun to go looking for things to add.
    My husband is handicapped and this is something we enjoy doing together.

How fun to hear what everyone collects! Unfortunately, I live in a relatively small house with a man who doesn't like "stuff" around. So I have to be clever how I keep my "pretties." :lol: :lol:

I collect blue, white, and blue&white pitchers and creamers. I've got large white ones on the open end of our birch bookcases in the living room; smaller blue ones on the white open end shelves in my dining room; larger blue and white ones on a white shelf that goes around our [very] yellow office; and lastly, I have four shelves filled with creamers of sizes (but all white, blue, or blue&white) in the cabinets in my dining room. [pictures when I can...]

I've picked most of them up at Target or Ross, surprisingly. The rest from eBay or on trips here and there. Some very new, some very old. All loved.

I also collect the little figurines that come in Red Rose Tea [http://www.redrosetea.com/figurines.aspx]. I've got about 50 of them on the back of my sewing table, grouped by collection, of course! 8)

Blog Entries

Quiltin Lady I looked at the link for the Red Rose tea. The figurines are cute!! My grandson is autistic and he is obsessed with the Wiggles kid show. On there Dorothy the dinosaur makes tea from her roses and it is called rosy tea. He would love that Red Rose tea!! I took one look at the box of tea and thought aha rosy tea!! I'll have to get some for him!

I have a few old cream colored pitchers but not a lot about 6 or 7 I think
    Would love to see pictures of yours! One of my favorites is Victorian looking but it has a long crack on one side. I just set it so that side doesn't show!

Blue --

They are really cute! I tell people that I'm collecting the figurines for when the grandkids come, but that's a fib.... They're for me! :lol:

I'll try to get some photos of them and the pitchers done this weekend. My DH, luckily, doesn't really know how many of the latter I have! :-)

I have some of the older Red Rose figurines. I have the nursery rhyme ones.
    As for what I collect - dolphins and Coca Cola items. The bathroom in our old house used to be all Coca Cola but when we moved both my daughters (5 & 8) both asked if they 'had' to have a bathroom like that again! So my collection has now made its way into my sewing room. Where it is there for me to enjoy!
    They wanted a girly bathroom with flowers and pinks and sparkly things! Oh well we all have what we want now!
    Kendra

All great collectibles mentioned and pictured here! I collect Longaberger and angels. It's fun and it's another hobby/addiction to support - as if quilting weren't enough!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Rhonda, I love your home! Everything is so beautifully displayed, when I try to do that, it just looks like someone has left it lying there! I especially like the jars and things with old labels, and the chooks of course! How funny, having to tell your GKs to get out of the stove! LOL

K x

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Rhonda, I love your home! Everything is so beautifully displayed, when I try to do that, it just looks like someone has left it lying there! I especially like the jars and things with old labels, and the chooks of course! How funny, having to tell your GKs to get out of the stove! LOL

K x
    My mom has a home that could be in any House Beautiful magazine. She has people tell her that often. She has a natural knack for displaying her antiques and collectibles. I might post some pics of her artistic talent. She doesn't think she is artistic at all but her house is fantastic for anyone who likes antiques. She collects scads of stuff. She has a lot of old coffee grinders / Crocks /she has an old wooden yes wooden washing machine/ she has an old blanket chest in the dining room that is full of china and lots of her collectibles. She has an old China Hutch in the living room at one end and the other end is wall to wall brick walk in fireplace. She bought two horsehair couches at an auction years ago for $2 each and has had them recovered a couple of times over the years. Her house is white walls with dark stained woodwork. An open on the livingroom side stairway that she puts crocks on the steps or Santas at Christmas time. She has a screened in porch that she dresses like it is an extended room of the house.
    Above the fireplace is a 10" thick beam that goes the length of the wall and she always has a collection up there of something. And she plays with changing it all the time. There is alot!!! of stuff in storage that comes out and then she changes things and some goes back into storage in the basement or the barn.
    She has taught me alot over the years and definately has given me my artistic side.

She is widowed and she is a gardener but her major interest is displaying things in her home. She is really!! good at it.
    She has had people ask if they can see in her home!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2