I am too excited to sleep!

Old 11-29-2013, 02:24 AM

Thumbs up I am too excited to sleep!

I got up early, put a huge turkey in the oven and sat down to have my first cup of coffee. Just as I sat down, my phone rang. I answered it, and a very nice male voice asked me if I was me. I said yes...? He asked me if I had any relatives named Killgore. I said yes, my mother, and gave him her name. He starts yelling into the phone "I found you! I found you!"
Ok, I am normally pretty unflappable, but this got my attention. I said " OK, you found me." "Who are you, and why were you looking for me?
He says " I have been searching all my life for my birth family!" I said "Birth family????" he said yes. Evidently before I was born, my favorite uncle (my mother's older brother, who would be in his late eighties, but is gone now) was married and had four kids, which I knew, but when he and my aunt divorced, (again before I was born) she was pregnant and put the child up for adoption and they never told the family about it!
This man (my new cousin) is nearly sixty, and my facebook apps (family tree) helped him finally find us. (That almost makes having a Facebook account worth the aggravation.)
I will be spending Friday and Saturday calling relatives to get permission to share phone numbers. So far it is still my secret. I guess we will be putting together a family reunion for him to meet us all.
This is one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me. His name is Steve, and he was a neurosurgeon until he retired, then he got bored and decided to go to law school. He just passed his state bar!
Thank you for letting me get this off my chest so I can go to sleep. May all of you have wonderful dreams and survive Black Friday in one piece. I will be at home, sewing and making telephone calls. Lol!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:56 AM

This is way too cool! How exciting!

I, too, am adopted. Last summer, I hired a Lawyer & got my adoption records unsealed. In January, I discovered that I was born "Bonnie Marie Rogers" to Melba Faye Rogers. My name was changed at the finalization of my adoption to Katherine Mary Mills. I am not having much luck finding anything out about my mother & nothing on my father as he wasn't mentioned on the original birth certificate or in any of the other documents.

You need to go back to sleep. You've been up way too long! Have fun on this new journey in your life.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:08 AM

This is a great news. I do genealogy as a hobby and your story convinces me to keep doing it. So exciting!
Old 11-29-2013, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts View Post
This is way too cool! How exciting!

I, too, am adopted. Last summer, I hired a Lawyer & got my adoption records unsealed. In January, I discovered that I was born "Bonnie Marie Rogers" to Melba Faye Rogers. My name was changed at the finalization of my adoption to Katherine Mary Mills. I am not having much luck finding anything out about my mother & nothing on my father as he wasn't mentioned on the original birth certificate or in any of the other documents.

You need to go back to sleep. You've been up way too long! Have fun on this new journey in your life.
Ancestry.com is the best resource and really inexpensive. It is THE largest collection of human records in the world. Good luck! (And good night...)
Old 11-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Congrats to you and the newest member of your family!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

​Wonderful news just before Christmas too!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

That is wonderful!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:54 AM

How exciting!! I am so happy for all of you. God has just given you another family member to love!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:57 AM

So excited and happy for you and your family!!! this is truly something to be thankful for this thanksgiving!!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:29 AM

How wonderful for both of you. Please keep us updated.