Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I can not belive What I saw. >

I can not belive What I saw.

I can not belive What I saw.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I am a baby boomer and what you are seeing for the most part are kids of the me first generation. They were raised with the idea that take care of number one because noone else will. They raised their kids with the don't stifle their creativity don't tell them no because they have to explore their world. So we now have a world of lax values no manners on the part of the kids and the parents and the parents are only concerned with not being bothered by the kids. As long as the kids are not in their face they are happy.

It is sad to have such little self esteem in our youth because of this. My DD was telling me the other day about a mom who leaves her 8 yr old to babysit the 7 yr old and they are all over town (small midwest town where everyone knows everyone)and then when she comes home she goes all over town looking for them. That is so sad. What kind of parent will those kids be?

My kids would rebel against our rules and I would tell them be glad you have parents who care where you are and who you are friends with. We had our problems as our kids grew up but we dealt with each as best we could.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:02 PM

I wouldn't let my 17 year old hang out at that time of night. No good can come of it. At 11 or 12, I knew where they were every minute. Can't imagine what the parents are thinking.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:23 PM

My kids still thank me for being the meanest mother on the block. Curfews, you bet. A--whooping, you bet. Chores, you bet. Manners, of course. Respect your elders, you bet. Time alone with mommy/daddy, you bet. Lots of lovin and huggin, you bet. Responsibilities, you bet. Consequences for bad behavior, you bet.

Cell phones, NO. Ipod, NO. Computer, NO. Hanging out with friends until all hours doing whatever? H--- NO. Drinking/cussing/drugs just to fit in and see what it is like? Double H--- NO. Talk back to mom and dad, NO.

When they were born, I asked God for happy, healthy, responsible adults. He gave them to me and I am blessed.

Yep, proud to be a mean mom. ;)
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

I have a wonderful poem my oldest gave me two years ago. It's called "The Meanest Mother in the World." I love it. It ends with "and I hope to be the meanest mother in the world too." It's easier to just let them run but if you care you take care and make sure they learn.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 PM

Wvdek, That is exactly how we raised out 4. And a few of the neighborood kids as well. I figure the parents did not care if they were at our home for days, I will treat them as my own then. I was a strict parent or so they said. I feel that maybe I was, but by golly they were taught. I love them dearly & believe that they were loaned to me to teach them how to be the right kind of people. Was it easy? Oh so far from it! I had 2 that I had to stay a few steps ahead of them and it was HARD! Some parents just do not care. They are busy or tired. It is easier to let the kids do what they want. Sad.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

My guess would be at least some of them sneak out of the house after the parent and/or parents have gone to bed and assume the kids are in bed also. I would not confront them nor try to take pictures of them, think of your safety.