I got a virus

Old 03-27-2010, 03:57 AM

No problems here.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 AM

None here, but I know that hotmail has been plagued by sending viruses.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:16 AM

none here- but i have geeks in my house who thrive (I mean he LOVES finding bugs) on people's computers getting sick.

He thinks it's funny when someone freaks over a virus. He goes into "geek mode" as I call it and about 2 our 3 hours later- smooth running machine.

So I guess my tuition checks are worth it.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
No, but I keep my anti-virus up to date and run regular scans.

I can't fathom how your tech could figure that the virus came from this board. Maybe it came from an email or a download file or some other website.
I have a few different anti-virus and I run them and malware weekly.. this nasty little bugger blocked me from malware or anything else. my roommate managed to circumvent it..ran a scan and found the buggers.. 7 or them. admittedly some could have been from opening links but the worst on hit me when I was in here and the chat. I have no idea how he traced it.. but he came up with the site name telling me that looked like where it came from without any prompting from me. I'll be the first to readily admit that I am EXTREMELY challenged when it comes to techie stuff. That's why I have someone I can call at a moments notice if I have a problem. He said he had no idea why someone would target this type of site. but advised me to contact Admin which I have, just to give them a heads up.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
none here- but i have geeks in my house who thrive (I mean he LOVES finding bugs) on people's computers getting sick.

He thinks it's funny when someone freaks over a virus. He goes into "geek mode" as I call it and about 2 our 3 hours later- smooth running machine.

So I guess my tuition checks are worth it.
WOW.. that sounds awesome. My tech is a buddy from work who keeps the hospital computers singing. He is awesome. I just turn it over to him.. and now my computer is SOOOOO much faster. He and I are both interested in Motorcycles and restoring old cars.. I have a '72 Beetle and he has a Vintage Cadillac Hearse.. I'm getting ready to make the velvet curtains for the Hearse for him. Great swap!!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:52 AM

I have a computer programmer, a network techie and the youngest hasn't decided what specialization. You should listen to them talk. Makes me laugh.

I am very lucky to have them. The office computer got a bug and I called the youngest and said there's a check if you can get this done asap. Bring home the tower, got the sinister laugh of I am better than the virus and off he went. Seriously, 2 hours later- bug free and he's happily telling me what sites to stay away from.

He loves to fix them. I like how he loves the computers but I really wished he used his super Math skills to a better advantage.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Had a virus once that was attached to my DH's e-mail account. Mcafee virus scan turned out to be crap. Now I use AVG.com/free. Must be goggled to get the right AVG. but I have learned that there is a virus out there that can turn your AVG off an infect your comp if you don't run a scan every other day.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 AM

Yes, lost everything in memory. had a back up drive, but it won't work, says it is damaged or something, I hate that I lost all pics, but I now do not open links, just look at what is posted. Had all antivirus and such, it lock up and said I needed to run a scan. That was the virus that wiped me out.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by redrummy
Yes, lost everything in memory. had a back up drive, but it won't work, says it is damaged or something, I hate that I lost all pics, but I now do not open links, just look at what is posted. Had all antivirus and such, it lock up and said I needed to run a scan. That was the virus that wiped me out.
The comp guy was able to save my pic,s for. Cost me 50.00 more bucks but was worth it. Can yoursdo this for you?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM

I have a Mac. :)