Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I have bad news.......

I just got home from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I havnt been there for awhile because I have been working so much, so its been about 3 months or so. I saw a few fabrics I REALLY liked on the calico wall, and they are $1 off a yard, so I thought good deal. Nope, they went up to $9.99 a yard on most, how sad. When I got up to the register, the young lady asked why I looked so sad, I told her the prices have gone up so much since I have been there last. THEN she tells me they were bought out last week by the people who own Pet Smart, and fabric is going up NEXT WEEK $2-$3 more per yard, I almost cried.

Blog Entries
    Bummer!!!!

Blog Entries
    I will go and check on our Joann's in a week or two, I am hoping not to find the same thing :(

I read somewhere that the cost of cotton is going up due to floods overseas. It has nothing to do with the buy out.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I'll shop online first. It wouldn't be so bad if the quality was better. I have not been pleased with a lot of their fabric lately.

I was at my Joann's yesterday, got some fabrics from the clearance section that is an additional 50% off. When I went to the cutting table I asked about them being bought out, the clerk was a bit snippy and informed (straightened me out) that they have not been bought out just will be merging. Don't know why she was a bit defensive.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I read somewhere that the cost of cotton is going up due to floods overseas. It has nothing to do with the buy out.
    This is true for future purchases, but their stock on hand was purchased prior to this flooding overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    This is true for future purchases, but their stock on hand was purchased prior to this flooding overseas.
    I agree, why do they have to raise the price on fabric they bought years ago????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    I agree, why do they have to raise the price on fabric they bought years ago????
    GREED!! :XD:

Blog Entries
    prior to the flooding... the USA dumped 40% of their cotton crops in favor of planting soybeans...then the floods hit and ruined the crops overseas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I will go and check on our Joann's in a week or two, I am hoping not to find the same thing :(
    amma, our Joann's have been at $9.99 for several weeks already
    up here NW

Wow, I find that really amazing....9.99 a yard? At Joann's? It makes the fabric at Keepsake Quilting seem like a relative bargain.

I guess I had better use my 50% of coupon tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up on this one. Dang it!

I guess there will be many people that choose NOT to shop at JoAnns. It sounds crazy....

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinster
    I guess I had better use my 50% of coupon tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up on this one. Dang it!
    Unless of course it is on sale for 20% off, or $1 off per yard.

now live in Chandler, AZ, but a Boston native
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirl66
    I just got home from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I havnt been there for awhile because I have been working so much, so its been about 3 months or so. I saw a few fabrics I REALLY liked on the calico wall, and they are $1 off a yard, so I thought good deal. Nope, they went up to $9.99 a yard on most, how sad. When I got up to the register, the young lady asked why I looked so sad, I told her the prices have gone up so much since I have been there last. THEN she tells me they were bought out last week by the people who own Pet Smart, and fabric is going up NEXT WEEK $2-$3 more per yard, I almost cried.
    Pet Smart bought JoAnn's... Huh? That just seems crazy. You'd be better off buying your fabrics from a quilt shop when they are 20-40% off or such. The fabrics are of a much higher quality than JoAnn's who I think has no business charging so much for "lesser" quality fabrics (for the most part). I also do a fair amount of sales shopping on line.. top of the line fabrics for less than JoAnns has the nerve to charge! I only buy notions there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricmaniac
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirl66
    Pet Smart bought JoAnn's... Huh? That just seems crazy. You'd be better off buying your fabrics from a quilt shop when they are 20-40% off or such. The fabrics are of a much higher quality than JoAnn's who I think has no business charging so much for "lesser" quality fabrics (for the most part). I also do a fair amount of sales shopping on line.. top of the line fabrics for less than JoAnns has the nerve to charge! I only buy notions there.
    They were not bought out by Pet Smart...

HUDSON, Ohio -- Jo-Ann Stores Inc., one of the few national retailers that prospered during the recession, has agreed to be acquired by a private equity firm in Los Angeles for $1.6 billion.

The deal with Leonard Green & Partners LP promises a premium for shareholders and should mean few changes for consumers at Jo-Ann's 756 stores, analysts said.

I'll buy my fabric at the quilt store before I pay there high prices. They will find out they are going to lose big time with the increases.

I'm a reclaimer. So, I use cotton table cloths, curtains, dress skirts and shirt backs a lot. It's about all I can swing. Lots of my acquaintances save things for me. Some I just give to Goodwill, which is a great source.

WE'll have to dream of a new way. We all need to grow bamboo, huh! learn how to harvest and spin it into thread to weave into our fabric. Well, if you are dreaming, just dream.

~ sign ~

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Wow, I find that really amazing....9.99 a yard? At Joann's? It makes the fabric at Keepsake Quilting seem like a relative bargain.
    Especially if you shop in the sale section of the KQ store and on-line. It irks me that JA's prices the goods so close to LQS' prices but the quality isn't even close.....off my soapbox.

piney

Quote Originally Posted by everybody's mother
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    GREED!! :XD:
    There's that. But working in retail I've learned doing ANY sort of price change suck (if I'm working on Monday I'm doing mods for new releases for Tuesday). I imagine it'd be a little complicated to have the old stock stay at the same old "before flooding" price and then have to change it to the new higher price once the bolt has run out and is replaced. And not every bolt is going to run out at the same rate. There would probably be irritated customers who go "Hey, this bolt is (insert lower price) but this one is (insert higher price! Why is that? Why can't this one be at that price?" It was probably easier just to change everything at once...but that doesn't change the fact still sucks for us quilters, though.

I went to JoAnn's here in Corpus Christi, looking for a fussy cut ruler, they had quilting supplies in 5 different locations throughout the store. Haven't noticed extreme price jumps lately. Hope we in the US don't go the way of the Swiss with fabric $25 a yd. We'll revert to using old clothing to quilt like our granmothers did.

Seems to be going the way of gasoline $$$!

I will be going to other shops if Joann's is raising the prices that much! I am not all that thrilled with them anyway! Today a local QS had 30% off the whole store...now I wish I had bought more.

And here I am trying to reclaim my dining room from the fabric I bought when my brother closed his store. Maybe I need to rethink and instead of trying to sell in the classifieds here I should be finding more inventive places to stash it for the future. Bird in hand.... :)
    Hummm there is that shower in the spare bath that we never use. Had to go and check.. Totes fit and stack nicely 4 high and the shower curtain covers it all. Out of sight out of DH's mind. LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast