Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting.... >

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

Old 11-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
Lovely thread to start here Ireland Dragon, this is how I try and act every day. Sad thing is so many times my helpful hand is met with "no thank you". I think our society has become so jaded and frightened, its sad really. But we just need to keep on trying.
In my area there are often people on street corners of freeway exits holding signs claiming to be homeless or out of work. I was talking to a friend about it and she told me about a person she knew who was a single father and that is how he made money 24/7. For the sake of his son he decided to go get a job. He worked for about 3 months and then went back to the street corner because he made more money doing that then he did working a job. There have also been stories about people who have hidden bags of groceries that people give them in near by bushes. At the end of their day they pull them all out and go home with dozens of bags of groceries. I never give money to "homeless" people because you never know if it is a scam. Instead I will go to a nearby coffee shop, restaurant or grocery store and buy them a coffee or meal.

One time there was a woman that I was seeing often on the street corner holding a sign. Every time I saw her she was crying. One time I bought her a coffee, another time I bought her a sandwich and spent some time talking to her. I finally convinced her to let me take her to the local social agency (our city has done a lot to put together resources for folks down on their luck) and got her in touch with food help, job training and mentors. She is doing great now. She always did have a place to live but had difficulty paying so they also gave her rent assistance. If she had not had someplace to live I would have asked her to stay with me.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
Been there = done that.... Love it! Love the stories!

See THIS topic is what the QB is all about too. Inspiring us as human beings not only as quilters!
I really agree with you. I have tried hard to like the new board and have not been bothered by having to learn new systems. I have though not had the same feeling here. The old board was a "visual quilt" for me as it was warm and cozy like a quilt is. In reading through this thread I realize that this sort of conversation is what I look forward to and have truly been missing in coming here.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 PM

I love these 'pay it forward ' story. One time when I was just finishing my shift the husband of a coworker was dropping off her son for her to take home but she had to work overtime. As luck would have it the boss walked in and asked about the baby. She didn't want anyone haveing their children present when they were supposed to be working I stepped over and with my hand on the car seat I said I was babysitting for her tonight. I looked at Barb and smiled. When the boss left I gave Barb my address and took the baby home. She tried to pay me when she came to pick him up but I said we enjoyed him so much, that was our pay. My husband almost spent more time playing with him than I did
Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 AM

We were following an older couple down the highway when their tire went flat. We pulled over behind them and my husband changed the tire for them. They offered several times to pay us - but I told them no , maybe one day they would get a chance to help someone and just to PIF.

If I have lots of stuff in my buggy to check out, I often let someone go in front of me who only has a few items. I feel like a goofball making someone wait behind me when I am not in a rush.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 AM

I have done this several times. There was a woman in the grocery store with little ones and she didn't have enough money for the basics she was buying. She was trying to figure out what to put back and I told the clerk I would pay for the rest. I just couldn't stand seeing those little ones go without food. God has given me so many wonderful things the least I can do is pay it forward.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 AM

My husband and I celebrate our anniversary in December by heading to the Twin Cities, MN for shopping, dinner and an overnight at a motel or at our daughter's home. The most fun we have is looking for someone in the restaurant where we have breakfast or lunch that we can surprise by paying for their meal before we leave. Because we leave first we don't see their faces but we enjoy surprising them. We look for someone who seems to be in need of some help.
Another fun time I had was when a youngster in front of me at the checkout at Walmart didn't have enough to pay for the gift she had picked out. Sure was fun to make up the difference.
If you keep your eyes and heart open, you can have a lot of fun as an anonymous 'santa'.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM

If there is a person in front of me that is pulling out their pockets and everything else just to find some change I open my purse and give the clerk,and do so that the person doesn't see me .I figure when I am in need of something someone may do something for me .
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
Been there = done that.... Love it! Love the stories!

See THIS topic is what the QB is all about too. Inspiring us as human beings not only as quilters!
I completely agree!... The people on this QB are inspiring...and it isn't even the Christmas season of giving, yet...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:58 PM

I witnessed a "random act of kindness" at my local Post Office the other day. A young lady (20's) came in with a tiny baby in a carrier. She was purchasing a book of stamps to put on invitations, but realized that she had left her wallet in the car. She started to pick up her pile of invites, the baby, etc. and the woman paying for her own mail at the other window said, don't drag the baby back outside in the rain, I'll buy the book of stamps for you. The young lady was completely surprised at the woman's kindness...she kept saying, I can meet you outside with the money! But the other woman said, don't worry, I remember what it's like to try and do errands with a newborn, so it's the least I can do. It was quite nice to actually witness an act of kindness!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:18 PM

One day my son saw an older gentleman mowing his lawn. He was really having difficulty due to his age and a bad leg. He stopped the truck got out and took the mower away from him and finished the job. Not wanting to taking anything for his time. About a week later there was a very nice article in the newspaper that made me very proud of him. Apparently someone had seen the whole thing an wrote the article. It doesn't take much to help someone else and walk away. Try it you'll like it.