Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all. >

I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM

In that situation, Stop what you are doing.........look that person in the eyes and say.......................
Jesus loves you and I'm trying!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM

I would have told her not to worry about it as long as she is not being asked to pay the bills!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM

First, know that you do NOT have to explain anything you do to anyone (unless it affects them directly). The best thing I've found to say in a situation like this, where you have to be careful not to be offensive, but to set your boundaries, is "I'm sorry you feel that way." That puts the onus back on them, because the truth is that they've chosen to feel that way. It took me years to learn not to accept responsibility for the way everyone else felt. The first temptation is to let 'er rip and say exactly what you think, but in a family situation, where you don't want to break bonds, it's not so easy.

Secondl.. no one has any right whatsoever to opine about your financial situation... whether they approve of how you spend your money or not. Period. The problem with folks like that is that they have no boundaries, so they don't respect them for others. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM

Think it ws Eleanor Roosevelt that said no one can make you feel inferior without your consent - so true - she's just a negative person, not like you are asking her for the money or anything - it's none of her business how you do or don't spend your money. Maybe she's jealous that she can't be a quilter like us cool people??? lol - sorry you had to deal with that - have been on the receiving end of those things myself - no fun - just hang out here with us nice, positive, supportive people!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Sounds to me like she is just plain jealous. I wouldn't worry about her remarks. It makes you happy and thats all that counts. Its just none of her or anyones business what you spend your money on.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM

She really had no business saying that to you. But you being so kind probably was not what she was expecting. I hope you love your purchase and make it into something special.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM

my mother in law has made comments about how i like to buy fabric she will say i dont think you need anymore you have plenty i just look and her and tell her that is what i want to do and that is what i am going to do either you want to go in the store with me or sit in the car i dont care, it is my money and i will spend it the way i want ,, very rarely has she made comments to me since them!!of coarse she has 6 other daughter in laws she can drive nuts maybe she is at the house now instaed of mine
Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Oh my, she clearly thinks that she has the right to talk to you like a child. She'll continue if you allow it.

Next time, just interrupt and tell her she really doesn't get a vote in what you do with your life. Might seem rude but she's being mighty rude to you.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM

I agree with others..... unless they are paying your bills... they should not be telling you how to spend your $.

EACH person in this world has their own "vice". With us quilters... it is all things quilting. With her... it is just something else.

If this behavior does occur again....take up for yourself... but keep this in mind "a soft answer turns away great wrath". Try it.... I KNOW, it truly DOES work.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM

And I agree with everyone, yes they are smokers, what? $5.00 a pack? then why am I upset!!, sheesh! So again thanks ladies for the "eye opener!" so on to better things, I plan to get more fabric next week, well whenever the first is......

therapy to be sure, and yes when I get blue, I want to buy something, and not chocolate either!

You girls are the tops! again thanks.....

FREE Quilting Newsletter