Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all. >

I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
Someone once had the nerve to ask me why I 'waste' so much money on fabric. I told him that it gives me an artistic outlet and something to do, and the final result is a quilt that will keep my family warm for years. I asked him then why he wasted his money on cigarettes that literally go up in smoke, cost more than my fabric and leaves nothing behind except black lungs and a bad stink. Lol, he sure felt foolish.
Come Setpember think about how much money guys spend on deer leases, deer corn, feeders, new camo clothes, a I just got to have that new rifle, food & drink for the weekend. Restock the cabin, gas for the truck, shall I go on. They have the nerve to grip at us for a little fabric. :evil:
Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM

It sounds like she is worried about you but doesn't understand your enjoyment, relaxation, health benefits etc. of quilting. I've seen other people on the board have to defend their quilting to someone else in the family as well and it can be upsetting. Sorry they don't get it. I'm one of the lucky ones and my kids enjoy receiving my quilts and sending me fabric or taking me to quilt shops when I visit them cause they see it makes me happy...I don't think they understand my passion totally but they accept it which is fine.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 AM

I don't know about the rest of you but when i 'm blue I tend to buy more, it makes me feel good. I am not buying drugs or alcohol and my kids are grown and out of the house. If my bills are paid i see no problem with it. And sometimes even if my bills aren't paid I still see no problem with it. Its none of any bodies business but yours and you have to live with that. Have fun
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Obviously, your SIL is not a quilter, or crafter, of any kind, so she has no concept of the meaning of the word stash. Now, I use to collect with the thought, stock up when you can, so when money is tight & you can't buy anything, you always have your stash to fall back on. Kind of keeping a pantry, basically the same concept. Also, with quilting, you need lots of variety, so it's important to add to it, a little here, & a little there, as you can afford to, & also, as you find things you like. I mainly stick to buying what I like, & have more luck co-ordinating with the rest of my stash. Oh, the best advice I can give you, is not to shop with this woman anymore, at least not for stash, as it's plain to see, she just doesn't get it, & she probably would not be one I would ever gift a quilt to either!... She needs to get a life & stay out of yours also. I didn't notice you asking her, for her opinion, but seems you got an earful anyway. Not nice at all!....
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM

i agree with all of you
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM

There is an old Billy Holiday song that covers this issue..."Ain't nobody's business if I do" I hum it when confronted with nosy parkers....
Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Just wondering if the mill outlet(Clinton,NC) is the same as the one in Raleigh having the same merchandise?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM

Is she giving you her 2-bits' worth because she's concerned for you or because her opinion is different from yours? If she is genuinely concerned that you will be spending money on fabric and thereby not have enough $$$ for basic necessities, then her interference should be forgiven. However, if she's just being difficult and/or snotty, ignore her. Ultimately, the choice of how/where you spend your money is yours to make.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 AM

"Thank you for your opinion." Then do what you want.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Unless you are only 10 years old, she has no business telling you what to do. I had a SIL like that, and I often would say "Why would you say that?" Usually stopped her.

FREE Quilting Newsletter